Teesside Concept Art BA and De Montfort Computer Game Arts BA? Illustration?? Watch

AVGA17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello all!

I'm an International student (EU) and I'm in the process of making the final university choices for my UCAS application for 2015.

As I was doing my research, these two courses recently got my attention.

I am planning to apply for illustration courses in Brighton, Falmouth, AUB, Loughborough and maybe UAL. Ideally I want to bet into the Game development industry as a concept artist and I thought that an Illustration degree would be adequate and at the same time not too specific.

But then I saw these two courses, especially the one at Teesside which seems to be directed at pretty much the exact thing I want to do. I am thinking about whether or not I should put it down and Im currently finding myself in a dilema.

What do you guys think of these courses and the universities themselves? They seem alright and they have good student satisfaction rates. But their rather low ranking and 'unknown-ness' so to speak and their relative isolation from larger cities seem a tiny a bit off putting. Not sure if I would be making the correct choice here.... And if these courses are any good, do you think I should risk it an apply or go via the illustration way? Will that still manage to get me into the industry?

Also, if you got any thoughts about the other universities and their illustration courses that I mentioned which I'll be applying too, please share them all!

Please, any and all advice is welcomed with open arms! In advance, thank you all for reading and helping!
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Game Art course at De Montfort is one of the very few decent games art courses in the country (after my own of course, ahem!). It's taught by lecturers who have worked in the industry. I don't know what it's like from a concept art viewpoint though, but their 3D work is very good.
AlphaDog0127
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AVGA17)
Hello all!

I'm an International student (EU) and I'm in the process of making the final university choices for my UCAS application for 2015.

As I was doing my research, these two courses recently got my attention.

I am planning to apply for illustration courses in Brighton, Falmouth, AUB, Loughborough and maybe UAL. Ideally I want to bet into the Game development industry as a concept artist and I thought that an Illustration degree would be adequate and at the same time not too specific.

But then I saw these two courses, especially the one at Teesside which seems to be directed at pretty much the exact thing I want to do. I am thinking about whether or not I should put it down and Im currently finding myself in a dilema.

What do you guys think of these courses and the universities themselves? They seem alright and they have good student satisfaction rates. But their rather low ranking and 'unknown-ness' so to speak and their relative isolation from larger cities seem a tiny a bit off putting. Not sure if I would be making the correct choice here.... And if these courses are any good, do you think I should risk it an apply or go via the illustration way? Will that still manage to get me into the industry?

Also, if you got any thoughts about the other universities and their illustration courses that I mentioned which I'll be applying too, please share them all!

Please, any and all advice is welcomed with open arms! In advance, thank you all for reading and helping!
Hey I'm doing Computer Animation and VFX at Teesside and my flatmates are on Games Design, Computer Games Programming, Computer Character Animation and GAMES ART

Teesside might be low ranking as far as the overall University goes but it has an excellent school of computing

I'd advise that you look at Skillset accredited courses:
BA (Hons) 3D Games Art and Design at University of Hertforshire.
BA (Hons) Computer Arts at University of Abertay Dundee.
BA (Hons) Computer Games Art at Teesside University.
BA (Hons) Game Art Design at De Montfort University.
BA (Hons) Games Art and Design at Norwich University of the Arts (NUA).

Source: http://courses.creativeskillset.org/...arch%5D=degree

Skillset courses tend to be a better place to look because you know they are all of a good standard. I only went to open days at Teesside, Hertfordshire and De Mont from that list though and applied to them all (I actually applied for the Game Art course at De Mont, not animation like my current course).

Also, looks up the lecturers from the courses you are looking at. Most of them will be on LinkedIn so you can see what projects, if any, they have worked on/for how long and links to their portfolios etc.

If you have any questions feel free to message me ^_^
University of Hertfordshire
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi all,

Alphadog0127 makes a good point, having a Creative Skillset accredited course means you are one step ahead of the game and are studying a well recognised and professional degree-one that employers will notice!

We offer both a Games Art degree and an Illustration course , which allows you to explore Graphics too.

In regards to your query about working in the sector, take a look at your Universities employment rates. See if they offer you a placement year to work or study abroad and look at the industry contacts that your lecturers will have! That way, with any 'Creative Arts' degree, you can tailor your work placement to the field you would like to have a career in.

Hope that helps,

Rosanna
Creative Arts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise