The Student Room Group

Transfer university after first year?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently studying Animal Behaviour and Welfare BSc(Hons) at Hartpury College but I am looking into transferring to Lincoln university after I've completed my first year to start in the second year. However I am worried that I won't be allowed as I don't have a Biology A level since I originally thought I wanted to study psychology at university but left to go to Hartpury after I realised it wasn't what I wanted. On the Hartpury website it said they wanted an a level in a biological science however they accepted my psychology A level because it is classed as a science but I don't think Lincoln will do this and even if they did I am still 20 points under the entry points requirement.

Since I am already on the course and the first year modules are similar, although not exactly the same, is it possible that they will consider me? I have already sent them an email asking if they will consider an application and I will ring admissions if I don't receive an email soon but I am looking for advice from people that have transferred or know how it may work.

Thank you!
I'm in the process of transferring. I have an offer from the Uni I want to go to. They just sent me a guideline of what they want me to achieve in the first year, so my offer was that I had to pass all my modules. They didn't ask for my A Level grades or anything like that, they just wanted to see if the current course I was doing was compatible with the course at their Uni.
I think as long as your first year modules are similar enough to not put you at a disadvantage for the second year they will send you an offer. This is judging by my transfer.
Original post by hannah1906
Hi everyone!

I'm currently studying Animal Behaviour and Welfare BSc(Hons) at Hartpury College but I am looking into transferring to Lincoln university after I've completed my first year to start in the second year. However I am worried that I won't be allowed as I don't have a Biology A level since I originally thought I wanted to study psychology at university but left to go to Hartpury after I realised it wasn't what I wanted. On the Hartpury website it said they wanted an a level in a biological science however they accepted my psychology A level because it is classed as a science but I don't think Lincoln will do this and even if they did I am still 20 points under the entry points requirement.

Since I am already on the course and the first year modules are similar, although not exactly the same, is it possible that they will consider me? I have already sent them an email asking if they will consider an application and I will ring admissions if I don't receive an email soon but I am looking for advice from people that have transferred or know how it may work.

Thank you!
Only Lincoln can tell you this, but it is normal for you to have to meet the usual entry requirements so don't be surprised if they say no. There's a Transfer FAQ sticky at top of the page.
Reply 3
Original post by somemightsay888
I'm in the process of transferring. I have an offer from the Uni I want to go to. They just sent me a guideline of what they want me to achieve in the first year, so my offer was that I had to pass all my modules. They didn't ask for my A Level grades or anything like that, they just wanted to see if the current course I was doing was compatible with the course at their Uni.
I think as long as your first year modules are similar enough to not put you at a disadvantage for the second year they will send you an offer. This is judging by my transfer.

That's what I'm hoping they will offer! Did they specify if they wanted a 2.1 for example or just for you to have passed? Was the university quick to reply or did you just ring up and ask? Sorry about all the questions, it's nice to talk to someone going through a similar situation! :smile:
That's what I'm hoping they will offer! Did they specify if they wanted a 2.1 for example or just for you to have passed? Was the university quick to reply or did you just ring up and ask? Sorry about all the questions, it's nice to talk to someone going through a similar situation! :smile:

It's fine mate, no bother :smile: They said specifically they wanted me to pass all my modules, no 2.1 or 1st required, just a pass. I emailed them and within half an hour I had an offer. They will usually send you an offer the same day, which is helpful and doesn't leave you on edge for weeks.
Reply 5
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Only Lincoln can tell you this, but it is normal for you to have to meet the usual entry requirements so don't be surprised if they say no. There's a Transfer FAQ sticky at top of the page.

Thank you, I'm actually reading through it all now. I just wanted to know people's experience and advice to prepare myself. I will wait until next week to see if Lincoln emails back otherwise I will ring them and find out
Reply 6
It's fine mate, no bother :smile: They said specifically they wanted me to pass all my modules, no 2.1 or 1st required, just a pass. I emailed them and within half an hour I had an offer. They will usually send you an offer the same day, which is helpful and doesn't leave you on edge for weeks.

What university are you hoping to transfer to? That's a great offer though! :smile: Ah I sent the email on Monday and I had one back saying they had received it and someone should be in contact soon so I'm hoping they are just busy :frown: I think the best thing for me to do is to just ring the university
What university are you hoping to transfer to? That's a great offer though! :smile: Ah I sent the email on Monday and I had one back saying they had received it and someone should be in contact soon so I'm hoping they are just busy :frown: I think the best thing for me to do is to just ring the university

I'm transferring to Bangor hopefully. Yeah it is a great offer, I was so glad the phrase 2.1 or even 1st didn't crop up, would have dashed my chances. Ahh yeah, I would ring if I was you, they fob you off on email sometimes
Reply 8
I'm transferring to Bangor hopefully. Yeah it is a great offer, I was so glad the phrase 2.1 or even 1st didn't crop up, would have dashed my chances. Ahh yeah, I would ring if I was you, they fob you off on email sometimes

My friend is in her second year there and loves it :smile: I know I'll be able to pass but I'm worried they will want at least a 2.1. Yeah and it's a lot easier to explain things over the phone. Hopefully it won't be too long until I can find out my options
My friend is in her second year there and loves it :smile: I know I'll be able to pass but I'm worried they will want at least a 2.1. Yeah and it's a lot easier to explain things over the phone. Hopefully it won't be too long until I can find out my options

I don't know why they only wanted a pass on my course :/ I think a 2.1 offer is the most common one so chances are you'll get that, followed by a pass followed by a 1st. Very unlikely you'll get a 1st offer. Ah, good to hear positive things about Bangor, it looks a nice place on the site :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest