Can't decide whether to do Medicine or Economics Watch

MrMooo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
  • I am in Year 13 and I am still doing all 4 A-Levels to keep the door open to both (Econ,maths,chem,bio) but I can't decide which. I am applying for Econ this year but with the backing I may opt out later if I come to a decision and reapply next year with relevant work experience. My family has medics and future medics in it. Medicine: helping people, good pay, secure job, interesting job and lots of opportunities but long hours, stressful job, death ect....
    Econ: interesting, I love current events, lots of job opportunities, hard and insecure job and opportunity for high and low paying jobs
    Those were off the top of my head. Those are the two degrees which stand out, I just can't come to a decision. I don't want to do Econ and realise I want to do medicine, I've chosen to do Econ as it's interesting and it required less prep in terms of applying and interview-wise as I couldn't come to a decison and medicine is a hard long vocational subject if you're not sure about it. I would like to drop a subject at A-Level but I don't want to regret dropping one....ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE NICE!!!!
redsoxs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MrMooo)
  • I am in Year 13 and I am still doing all 4 A-Levels to keep the door open to both (Econ,maths,chem,bio) but I can't decide which. I am applying for Econ this year but with the backing I may opt out later if I come to a decision and reapply next year with relevant work experience. My family has medics and future medics in it. Medicine: helping people, good pay, secure job, interesting job and lots of opportunities but long hours, stressful job, death ect....
    Econ: interesting, I love current events, lots of job opportunities, hard and insecure job and opportunity for high and low paying jobs
    Those were off the top of my head. Those are the two degrees which stand out, I just can't come to a decision. I don't want to do Econ and realise I want to do medicine, I've chosen to do Econ as it's interesting and it required less prep in terms of applying and interview-wise as I couldn't come to a decison and medicine is a hard long vocational subject if you're not sure about it. I would like to drop a subject at A-Level but I don't want to regret dropping one....ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE NICE!!!!

I don't know much about economics so can't really help you there. Out of curiosity have you done any medical related work exp/volunteering? if not it'll give you an insight into what medicine entails. Also if you're considering applying for 2016 entry it's probably a good idea to sort out some work exp/volunteering work for when it comes to writing your PS and later your interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tronick
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're stuck between the two at this stage then economics is perhaps more suited

Posted from TSR Mobile
solarplexus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
both have moneyful careers....I would get more insight to medicine..realistically you could switch to a career in finance after a medical degree (but that would waste you lots of money)...better now that you decided
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you want to be a doctor?

Y/N

Job done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.51%
No - but I will (74)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (462)
47.88%

Watched Threads