BOOK: Great Gatsby -Opinions Watch

AnnieFraz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey I enjoy reading. Recently I read the Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald and HATED IT!!! I found it to be very boring and dull to read. There is not much of a plot or character development. The only character to get any development was Gatsby who is not a likable character and I found to be annoying. I seem to be the only person with this opinion, anyone agree or have completely different opinions, please comment

Posted from TSR Mobile
KATCreative
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess it's one of those books that doesn't work for every reader. But I would insist that the writing is very intelligent if nothing else. It has subtle layers of meaning which as a literary critic and a reader I really appreciate. As for Gatsby being unlikeable, he's about the only redeemable character in the novel. Ironically, despite ostensibly being corrupt through his bootlegging activities, he is the character we can sympathise with the most, struggling against social class boundaries and the true upper class corruption of Tom, Daisy and others; a struggle which is perhaps as relevant now as it always has been. So yeah, I'm sorry but I liked this book, and it's not even in my usual realm of reading, but I suppose it's not for everyone. I think you have to look beyond the surface of repetitive parties and rich people doing boring things to really appreciate what's at the core of this novel, but all of that's from my subjective viewpoint anyway.
AnnieFraz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by KATCreative)
I guess it's one of those books that doesn't work for every reader. But I would insist that the writing is very intelligent if nothing else. It has subtle layers of meaning which as a literary critic and a reader I really appreciate. As for Gatsby being unlikeable, he's about the only redeemable character in the novel. Ironically, despite ostensibly being corrupt through his bootlegging activities, he is the character we can sympathise with the most, struggling against social class boundaries and the true upper class corruption of Tom, Daisy and others; a struggle which is perhaps as relevant now as it always has been. So yeah, I'm sorry but I liked this book, and it's not even in my usual realm of reading, but I suppose it's not for everyone. I think you have to look beyond the surface of repetitive parties and rich people doing boring things to really appreciate what's at the core of this novel, but all of that's from my subjective viewpoint anyway.
Hey don't be sorry for liking it. It's nice to hear opinions that aren't how can you hate it as you give like a for and against

Posted from TSR Mobile
KATCreative
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnnieFraz)
Hey don't be sorry for liking it. It's nice to hear opinions that aren't how can you hate it as you give like a for and against
Yeah, it's good to compare different opinions, and there's no right and wrong as everyone has their own experience and people read for different reasons.
I made a video about it a little while ago actually if you or anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtd4...YFjvyXeDweISxg
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"At small parties there isn't any privacy."
Dannaaay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think TGG is definitely a marmite book - I adored it! For me I read it as a leisure read and then to my delight studied it analytically for my course. Reading it for myself was good, but I think to get the full appreciation for the book you have to analyse it - there are so many hidden conceits and imagery patterns that really complete the book, and I think studying it and finding the intricate patterns that Fitzgerald wove into it was what made me adore the book.

However, I totally understand your point and yes there were several people on my Literature course who hated it with a passion

Posted from TSR Mobile
AquaDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dannaaay)
I think to get the full appreciation for the book you have to analyse it
Definitely agree with this. Studied this alongside The Catcher in the Rye for a dissertation and once I got familiar with the themes and deeper meanings in the book, my appreciation for it increased so much. That's not to say that you can't read it for leisure and enjoy it, or dislike it regardless of how you read it. Again, it's a matter of opinion.
Dannaaay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AquaDuck)
Definitely agree with this. Studied this alongside The Catcher in the Rye for a dissertation and once I got familiar with the themes and deeper meanings in the book, my appreciation for it increased so much. That's not to say that you can't read it for leisure and enjoy it, or dislike it regardless of how you read it. Again, it's a matter of opinion.
Exactly! I think if it weren't for analysing it I would have just passed it off as another relatively good book. I can't bring myself to watch the films though - I don't want to ruin the magic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blazar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hated Gatsby when I first read it. I had to force myself to read it for school, which is probably why I found it dull and missed a lot of the intricacies. However, as I've gone back and read it properly, I've found myself enjoying it more each time. Two years on, I'd say it's one of my favourite works of fiction. I think being allowed to read something at a comfortable pace makes a lot of difference as to whether the reader can engage with the text.
omgimnaomi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ahh I loved it! One of my favourite books though each time I read it I can't help but hate Daisy at the end and as far as the writing style Fitzgerald's use of metaphor is wonderful
Dannaaay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blazar)
I hated Gatsby when I first read it. I had to force myself to read it for school, which is probably why I found it dull and missed a lot of the intricacies. However, as I've gone back and read it properly, I've found myself enjoying it more each time. Two years on, I'd say it's one of my favourite works of fiction. I think being allowed to read something at a comfortable pace makes a lot of difference as to whether the reader can engage with the text.
I agree. You really have to build up your own ideas and thoughts on a novel to really connect and appreciate it. Similarly to you, The Great Gatsby has become one of my favourite novels, tied with Lolita for the top spot! I even did a Daisy Buchanan for Halloween

Posted from TSR Mobile
AquaDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
@Dannaaay

Oh yeah there's been much debate about the films! So many English teachers have tried - whenever I mention the recent version I watched - that the older version is a lot better and more true to the book, but I can't really say I paid much attention. To me, films based on books are just adaptations, and should be taken lightly otherwise there will be disappointment.

Have to say though, I love the soundtrack for the 2013 movie!
omgimnaomi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Will you still love me when i'm no longer young and beautiful
(Original post by aquaduck)
@dannaaay

oh yeah there's been much debate about the films! So many english teachers have tried - whenever i mention the recent version i watched - that the older version is a lot better and more true to the book, but i can't really say i paid much attention. To me, films based on books are just adaptations, and should be taken lightly otherwise there will be disappointment.

Have to say though, i love the soundtrack for the 2013 movie!
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The characters are utterly detestable, and I don't know if I agree with the message, but the writing style is incredibly, and beautifully, poetic, and some of the ideas and quotations are superb. It is all about style over substance, which is to be expected from what is essentially a modern reworking of a Latin classic.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Awful, awful book. Far too many descriptive passages. Yes we get it, Gatsby is wildly rich and relatively classless, I do not need to read about it his diamond encrusted scrotum every few pages. Very little character development; everyone bar Gatsby and Nick end the book as they start; relative ghosts with little to no character.
Imsophie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally loved it I thought that it was a bit hard to get into at the start but that was only because of how sophisticated the novel is! I was absorbed and read it without putting it down... I absolutely hated the character of Daisy. She is such a cold, cruel and shallow character and I could not relate to her at all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.32%
No - but I will (38)
6.82%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (263)
47.22%

Watched Threads