Biomedical Science Degree Programs Confused as to where to apply???? Watch

Jackassrocks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm studying a Swap access course and applying for Uni for 2015 entry. One of the routes is Biomedical Science and this is the only thing I am really interested in studying. However I am really confused as to the difference between degree programs i.e. Biomedical Science/Sciences. I was told that if I am planning on getting a job as a Biomedical Scientist after my degree or doing any kind of Lab work then I need a degree that is IBMS accredited. My problem is that there are only three universities in Scotland that have IBMS accredited degree programs. Does anyone know what the differences are between IBMS accredited or not and does it make much difference? Also what would other possible progression routes be to this type of degree?
emmaleigh21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently an honours Biomed student in Scotland. I'm currently at Abertay which is IBMS accredited. Generally, If you want to work for an NHS lab when you graduate, you will have to do an IBMS accredited degree. Also, accredited degrees tend to also offer placements within the course, last year I completed a 6 Month placement in a Pathology laboratory.
If you don't think working in a clinical NHS lab is for you, don't worry about the IBMS accreditation, say if you wanted to work in industry, or go onto study medicine.
I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, send me a message and I will do my best to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jackassrocks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Yea that does help thanks
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emmaleigh21)
I'm currently an honours Biomed student in Scotland. I'm currently at Abertay which is IBMS accredited. Generally, If you want to work for an NHS lab when you graduate, you will have to do an IBMS accredited degree. Also, accredited degrees tend to also offer placements within the course, last year I completed a 6 Month placement in a Pathology laboratory.
If you don't think working in a clinical NHS lab is for you, don't worry about the IBMS accreditation, say if you wanted to work in industry, or go onto study medicine.
I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, send me a message and I will do my best to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you find Abertay for the course?
RegisteredBMS
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emmaleigh21)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No they really don't. The vast majority of universities are moving away from the sandwich course method since the Practitioner Training Program (BSc Healthcare Science) is the preferred route by the NHS and Department of Health. The vast majority of IBMS-accredited Biomedical Science degrees do not offer NHS placements. BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science) is IBMS-accredited and you obtain HCPC registration within the 3-year course, not 4 years. The placements are also set in stone from the moment you get accepted on the course so you don't have to fight it out for them prior to the sandwich year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads