Virology - Imperial or LSHTM? Watch

nicodemus1488
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone.

I graduated with a medical degree from Malaysia and currently planning to pursue my Masters and subsequently PhD in the field of Virology. I am very interested in the Masters course offered by both Imperial & LSHTM.

Imperial - MSc in Molecular Biology and Pathology of Viruses (Virology)
LSHTM - MSC Medical Microbiology (Virology)

I would like to know which university is better for the study of virology. My scope of interest in virology is in virus transmitted tropical diseases such as dengue & leptospira and also retroviruses.

As far as I know, Imperial has a much better ranking than LSHTM but I am not sure regarding their virology department. How is their reputation? LSHTM, on the other hand, is internationally famous for public health and tropical medicine and I think maybe I could have more exposure and build more connections at LSHTM.

I would kindly appreciate any feedback or advice from all of you here. Thanks a lot!
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As you correctly indicated: ICL is better known to the general public for Science & Medicine. But LSHTM is well known among health professionals. It is good that you identified your areas of virology interest. Check both departments on: research centres, virology PhD topics and supervisors, funding, relevant research publications in journals, any experts teaching there? I have the impression that both unis have good labs, but LSHTM has a bit more field work edge.

Is there a tuition difference for internationals btw these two unis? Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads