English Literature- personal statement Watch

gemmaprince
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am in the middle of attempting to write my personal statement for Uni next year and I'm really struggling! I have looked at endless examples of good personal statements which has made me feel even worse about mine
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there's a structure for personal statements for English as it seems like there is, and what sort of books people are mentioning? I have an interest in modern American Literature and Dystopian novels but Im not sure if that's accepted? Im open to reading a wide range of books though but those are my favourites.
I am thinking of applying to Birmingham (1st choice) Leeds, Manchester, East Anglia and possibly Sussex.
Any advice would be very much appreciated
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know about specific books to mention, although it would be better to mention ones not from your A Level/GCSE syllabus. As for how to structure your PS, look at the PS builder http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...statement_help
holocene
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dystopian and Modern American literature sounds fine! Although it's tempting to list every book you've ever read in your personal statement (I tried to do this) I would probably recommend choosing two or three and writing a few sentences about what you found interesting about them. If you're struggling maybe think of the most interesting thing you've ever read - no matter what it is - and talk about why you find it interesting. I made the mistake of trying to write about books I wasn't actually that into because I thought it would be what they wanted to read - stay in your comfort zone and write about what you know and love.
gemmaprince
Rep:
?
(Original post by holocene)
Dystopian and Modern American literature sounds fine! Although it's tempting to list every book you've ever read in your personal statement (I tried to do this) I would probably recommend choosing two or three and writing a few sentences about what you found interesting about them. If you're struggling maybe think of the most interesting thing you've ever read - no matter what it is - and talk about why you find it interesting. I made the mistake of trying to write about books I wasn't actually that into because I thought it would be what they wanted to read - stay in your comfort zone and write about what you know and love.
Thank you so much for your help I will do that I was just worried about not interested in what the Unis may want me too.
Thanks again
gemmaprince
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=*Interrobang*;51282345]I don't know about specific books to mention, although it would be better to mention ones not from your A Level/GCSE syllabus. As for how to structure your PS, look at the PS builder http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...statement_help[/QUOTE
Thanks I will check it out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads