The Student Room Group

Is English becoming a global language making people lose their identity?

Hi guys. i was just wondering if anyone could help me with opposing point of view for this argument?
David Crystal commented some time ago that English in the new millennium will be a countable noun. Try to think of the benefits of thinking of English worldwide as 'Global Englishes', rather than one fixed, standard variety. English as a lingua franca does not necessarily inherently fix itself to a specific culture. The variety of English we see now is immense, and a lot of studies I have looked at show how ELF (English as a lingua franca) ia multicultural, its features when used between 2 speakers from Spain and Germany will differ to its use by another set of speakers. In other words, there is room for modification, as the purpose for using it is ease of communicating, it's the message that's important rather than the form in many situations.

Also in these interactions there may be language switching and references, showing that English is an aid, a tool, not a threat to culture. When a community adopts a language, it has the right to adapt it. Some words don't fit, some quite don't match the meaning so other words take their place. English is a big hole of a language, it takes words from every language it meets, no community should be restricted or lack meaning in their communication because English belongs to the world.

Quick Reply

Latest