Is English becoming a global language making people lose their identity? Watch

am8703
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys. i was just wondering if anyone could help me with opposing point of view for this argument?
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
David Crystal commented some time ago that English in the new millennium will be a countable noun. Try to think of the benefits of thinking of English worldwide as 'Global Englishes', rather than one fixed, standard variety. English as a lingua franca does not necessarily inherently fix itself to a specific culture. The variety of English we see now is immense, and a lot of studies I have looked at show how ELF (English as a lingua franca) ia multicultural, its features when used between 2 speakers from Spain and Germany will differ to its use by another set of speakers. In other words, there is room for modification, as the purpose for using it is ease of communicating, it's the message that's important rather than the form in many situations.

Also in these interactions there may be language switching and references, showing that English is an aid, a tool, not a threat to culture. When a community adopts a language, it has the right to adapt it. Some words don't fit, some quite don't match the meaning so other words take their place. English is a big hole of a language, it takes words from every language it meets, no community should be restricted or lack meaning in their communication because English belongs to the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads