HELP!! Watch

Diamant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
OK, I'm about to choose my GCSE options, and I wanted to take resistant materials, but then my mum didn't like it, so that flopped. But now, she's expecting me to get top grades for maths, and she's trying to force me to like maths and economics. I've told her that there is no way that I am going to be an accountant or work in banking, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I've also been told that for my A'Levels I have to take Economics, because my brother is doing it and it is great if you want to earn lots of money and go into banking. Again, banking is clearly something that I don't want to do. What I really want to do is German, it's my favourite subject, but my mum and my brother say it is rubbish and therefore I shouldn't do it.
Please help
P.S Apologies for the long post
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Diamant)
OK, I'm about to choose my GCSE options, and I wanted to take resistant materials, but then my mum didn't like it, so that flopped. But now, she's expecting me to get top grades for maths, and she's trying to force me to like maths and economics. I've told her that there is no way that I am going to be an accountant or work in banking, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I've also been told that for my A'Levels I have to take Economics, because my brother is doing it and it is great if you want to earn lots of money and go into banking. Again, banking is clearly something that I don't want to do. What I really want to do is German, it's my favourite subject, but my mum and my brother say it is rubbish and therefore I shouldn't do it.
Please help
The choice is yours to make, not theirs.
Listen carefully to what they have to say but make sure you ask them to explain why they think their choices are the best for you. Don't let them just dismiss your preferences without good reasons.
Discuss your choices with your teachers or anyone else you respect and who has some experience that can help you.
A language is always a good thing to take at gcse and if you are good at german and enjoy it then you should be thinking about it.
Economics is a really good A level subject that would be a useful choice for many university courses, but you will be able to choose it for A level whether or not you have done it at gcse so there is no reason to do it now if you don't want to.
It's hard to know what you want to do in the future so unless you have strong feelings already try to choose subjects that keep your options open.
The most important thing about your gcse is that you do well in them. Choose the subjects you are good at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CakeFrog
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need economics a level to study it at even some of the top universities! (including Oxford!) Tell your mum that, and hopefully you'll be able to study what you want at a level, even if she thinks you're going to do some sort of finance degree at uni. Just keep choosing your own options, and hopefully she'll come around - German is a very highly thought of subject.
Even though I've already applied for all of my chemical engineering courses at university, my mum still keeps telling me that I can still go into banking and finance afterwards, and that places like PWC love any science based graduates...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daniella4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please help
My parents have always been supportive of what I do, but for me you have to be interested to be good at something. If I was you I'd compromise on some subjects but if you really want to take German and resistant materials then do. Take options that you think you can succeed in. Also GCSE's aren't as important as they seem; just take a wide range of subjects so your options are open. Good luck!
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please help
You are not your brother. Do what you want to do.

Also isn't it recommended that you do a modern foreign language at GCSE? Tell your mum that.
CplSkippy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly? Stick to the subjects that make you happy, and that way revision will feel less like a chore.

Languages are HIGHLY valuable nowadays, so I encourage you to stick with it and try and become fluent.

Jobwise? With languages, the possibilities are endless....

Skips, 3 languages at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed