Is it a real risk to study in uni with 54% Graduate Prospects?? Watch

go2thezoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I found that only 54% Uni of Greenwich graduates in mechanical engineering work after finishing the course

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid.../courses/84570

Why is this percentage really low , inspit of the high emplayability of Mechanical engineering in general

Should I consider another uni or this statistics is not real
Hollywooddreamer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by go2thezoo)
I found that only 54% Uni of Greenwich graduates in mechanical engineering work after finishing the course

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid.../courses/84570

Why is this percentage really low , inspit of the high emplayability of Mechanical engineering in general

Should I consider another uni or this statistics is not real
I personally don't take employment rates too seriously as it is YOU as an INDIVIDUAL that will get a job.. and it will be based on a lot more things than the uni you went to; for example your skills.. your experiences etc

That said.. reputation CAN count, you're right 54% is quite low.. especially if your course tends to be quite employable generally.

My advice would be to look at other stats for Greenwich.. such as student satisfaction rates etc as they can really be a deciding factor

If you've seen greenwich and you like it then i wouldnt let one statistic put you off.. however if there are other things bothering you about the uni then yes i'd say look elsewhere.

Hope this helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This gives a fuller break down of where their graduates go - some are in further study (which they will need if they want to achieve chartered engineer status) http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjec...eturnTo/Search

The thing it's worth noting though is that you'll be much better off doing an MEng (which is like a BEng and a Masters all rolled into one, and all funded through student finance). That will give you chartered engineer status and better career opportunities with it.

If you apply for an MEng then it's usually fairly easy to drop down to the BEng, but for various reasons it can be much harder to go up to the MEng.

People who apply for the BEng when there's an MEng available are usually either (a) poorly advised, or (b) international. People who graduate with a BEng have invariably messed up their degree and not got the results they needed to progress to fourth year, or they've decided that they really don't like engineering after all.
go2thezoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Hollywooddreamer)
I personally don't take employment rates too seriously as it is YOU as an INDIVIDUAL that will get a job.. and it will be based on a lot more things than the uni you went to; for example your skills.. your experiences etc

My advice would be to look at other stats for Greenwich.. such as student satisfaction rates etc as they can really be a deciding factor

Posted from TSR Mobile
I searched other stats and they all confirm the relatively low employability of the uni , also its engineering ranking dropped from 26th in 2014 to 51 in 2015

Then should i take a master degree to have more Job opportunities
or training and summer courses will be enoght?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads