What are phospholipids? Watch

Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We're learning about cell membranes and im really confused. What are membranes made of? Is it phospholipids???
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
We're learning about cell membranes and im really confused. What are membranes made of? Is it phospholipids???

Correct. The cell membrane is composed of phospholipids in a bilayer. The hydrophobic tails face inwards away from the aqueous intracellular and extra cellular fluid, whilst the hydrophillic heads turn outwards.

There are other components in the membrane however.

Integral proteins which include such proteins as channels and transporters so molecules can get in and out of the membrane (those which are too large or charged to diffuse through), peripheral proteins, glycoproteins and glycolipids which can form components such as receptors and antigens.

Also in the membrane is cholesterol which provides stability to the membrane by controlling its fluidity, in response to temperature change.
Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Joshalos)

Correct. The cell membrane is composed of phospholipids in a bilayer. The hydrophobic tails face inwards away from the aqueous intracellular and extra cellular fluid, whilst the hydrophillic heads turn outwards.

There are other components in the membrane however.

Integral proteins which include such proteins as channels and transporters so molecules can get in and out of the membrane (those which are too large or charged to diffuse through), peripheral proteins, glycoproteins and glycolipids which can form components such as receptors and antigens.

Also in the membrane is cholesterol which provides stability to the membrane by controlling its fluidity, in response to temperature change.
Tanx! You know glycoproteins and lipids do they have the exact same roles?
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
Tanx! You know glycoproteins and lipids do they have the exact same roles?
They both have roles in cell-cell recognition although function by different pathways. Glycolipids also function as energy stores.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (189)
39.54%
No - but I will (28)
5.86%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.9%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.7%

Watched Threads