Functions - reflection - Core 3 Edexcel Watch

Cool-Light
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has a technique to reflect an inverse or a function in the line y=x. I can't imagine how a specific graph or a limited function would look like in the line y=x without physically having to place a mirror on the line. If I am not mistaken, I believe we can't use a mirror in the exam hosted by Edexcel? How do I get around this...? One may suggest 'just flip the co-ordinates'', I.e. (4,18) being f(x) and f^-1(x) being (18,4), suppose you can't do this for a specific function, what do I do then - help please?
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cool-Light)
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has a technique to reflect an inverse or a function in the line y=x. I can't imagine how a specific graph or a limited function would look like in the line y=x without physically having to place a mirror on the line. If I am not mistaken, I believe we can't use a mirror in the exam hosted by Edexcel? How do I get around this...? One may suggest 'just flip the co-ordinates'', I.e. (4,18) being f(x) and f^-1(x) being (18,4), suppose you can't do this for a specific function, what do I do then - help please?

The probability of having to actually perform an actual reflection in an exam is around 5%!

The typical marking scheme allocation for reasonably correct shape is 1 mark!

Learn and have understanding for the mathematically important parts otherwise you will have grey hair (or no hair) and ulcers before you are 20.
Cool-Light
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)
The probability of having to actually perform an actual reflection in an exam is around 5%!

Learn and have understanding for the mathematically important parts otherwise you will have grey hair (or no hair) and ulcers before you are 20.
Shnap, you must know me in real life or something LOL. And okay thanks for the statistics. I'm running out of hair as we speak - what's the solution?
Cool-Light
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)

Thanks for the re-assurance aswell... Grey hair and ulcer before i'm 20..
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shnap, you must know me in real life or something LOL. And okay thanks for the statistics. I'm running out of hair as we speak - what's the solution?
Isn't it obvious?

Do not worry as it is unlikely to affect your grade as I just explained.

Draw the line y=x (dotted) in the picture to indicate your intention.
Or draw the graph close to the end of the page so you can fold the page gently so you can see roughly where the image would lie.
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,

If you had to draw a function flipped along the y-axis would you be able to?

Well drawing a function flipped along the y=x axis is simple, you first rotate the page 90 degrees (so the x-axis is pointing upwards) and sketch the function, now draw a new function that is a reflection of your sketched function about the x-axis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads