How much material is covered in a university lecture compared to a school lesson? Watch

llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've tried to find information about this on the internet, but I can't. Perhaps the question is too vague, but I'm happy even with vague answers, so long as they somewhat address the question. Please help me out if you can.

How much material do you cover in a typical 60 minute school lesson (let's say at A-Level)? And what would you say (based on your own experience of higher education), how much more material (of similar depth) is covered in a 60 minute university lecture?

As a concrete example, take Economics (or Philosophy, or Psychology, or Politics). Some Economics university students have taken A-Level Economics at school while others have not. So universities have to teach the same content from scratch. They will cover the same material in lectures, but typically much faster than it was done at school with lessons. The question I really have is, how much faster?
llys
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For example, if I were to postulate that 10 hours of school lesson content corresponds to approximately 1 hour of university lecturing content, would you agree with that? Or would you say it is less, or more?
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It probably varies.

But to give you some examples, I cover about 5 or 6 hours of biology A-level standard stuff in a 2 hour lecture. Bear in mind the students should also be doing private study so the total hours may be similar.

My wife covered most of a further maths A-level in 1 term or so of an engineering degree (along with others modules too).
tígertíger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My classes at college were all 3 hours long whereas most of my lectures were 1-2. I would say that in general my A Level classes covered less topics in a more in-depth way, whereas my university lectures covered a lot of material in more superficial way.
Chewyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I heard some unis went over the entire maths and further maths A level curriculum in the first year of uni. My uni covered absolutely no A level material because they expect us to know it. It depends on your uni and course.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by llys)
For example, if I were to postulate that 10 hours of school lesson content corresponds to approximately 1 hour of university lecturing content, would you agree with that? Or would you say it is less, or more?
Probably fairly close, at least in my experience.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The emphasis on reading around the subject shouldn't be underestimated. To achieve top grades, you need to be multiplying the work you do in a lecture by studying hard around the subject. Get to grips with academic views on the topics etc. Lectures are only a minor part of gaining a degree.
james22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My university covers material 10-20 times as fast I think.
Stickman
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
In one of my maths lectures for engineering, we covered entire calculus of A level maths and further maths in 2 hours. It's lucky I took double maths a level. Those who didn't were crying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A hell of a lot more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise