Cambridge MPhil Finance vs MPhil Financial Economics vs MPhil Economics Watch

thebigboy01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

Does anyone know which of these programs is hardest to get in and which is easiest to get in? How do the acceptance rates compare?
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thebigboy01)
Hi all,

Does anyone know which of these programs is hardest to get in and which is easiest to get in? How do the acceptance rates compare? Does it make much sense to apply for more than 1 (or does it rarely happen that you are not accepted for one but still accepted for the other?)

Lastly, is a GRE score with quants in the 88th percentile and verbal 87 good enough to get in? Or is it then better to not submit the GRE score? How much value does Cambridge attach to the GRE?
Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply Moved it to the Cambridge forum too.

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university!
thebigboy01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anyone?
sj27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Postgrad admissions data here but it's old... http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camd...tgraduate.html

Finance is much harder to get into than Eco, it's probably the most competitive MPhil in Cam at the moment. I've never heard of a Cam degree in "financial economics", do you mean finance and economics? If so that is quite new and no (public) data yet. Eco and fin& eco are run by the Eco dept, finance by Judge. So different departments will be assessing the applications- entirely possible one will accept and the other reject.

Finance seems to be largely populated by people who came at the top of their undergrad classes.Ecos dept goes for ..I think mainly top 5% of class so that's 'easier'.
A Wild Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you think my chances are for getting MPhil economics from a BSc Political Economy (predicted 1st) from Kings?
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A Wild Student)
What do you think my chances are for getting MPhil economics from a BSc Political Economy (predicted 1st) from Kings?
Good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads