This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B716 - Dissolution of the British Republic Bill 2014, The Hon. Aph MP

Dissolution of the British Republic Act

A promissory bill made by the government upon the following circumstances.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The government shall surrender sovereignty of the British Republic if the European Union begins the proses of becoming a super-state, in which case the current government must allow assention to the new 'United States of Europe'.

2. There will be a maximum of a 18 month transition period between hand over of governments.

3. The Bank of England must convert all pound Stirling in circulation within the British Republic to an agreed upon new national currency within 6 months of the activation of this bill.

4. Education will be transferred to a preliminary European government within a year of the activation of this bill.

5. Upon activation of this bill all boarders between the British Republic and all EU nations shall cease to exist and shall no longer be defended.
5.1. All boarders between non eu countries shall remain defended with excess staff freed up from defending eu boarders being redeployed to man these boarders.

6. On the day on the activation of this bill the head of state should make an announcement to the nation on all media platforms explaining that the British republic will cease to exist and shall be replaced by a 'United States of Europe'

7. All British overseas troops should be recalled and brought back to the British Republic within 3 months
7.1. This may be overruled by authorisation of both the head of state of the British Republic and the president of the eu.

8. 'Activation' as referred to in this bill the the date upon which the contrition a of part one of this bill have been met.
TeeEff
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is a joke bill, right? What is your reasoning for creating the "United States of Europe"? I urge anyone with a sense of logical thinking to vote Nay.

Can I ask whether there was any input by other Green party members on this?
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay, as pro-EU as I am I don't think it's in anybody's interest for it to take over sovereignty from member states.
MacDaddi
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
This cannot be serious? No way Jose, the surrender of British sovereignty should never happen. Even if it is a joke Bill, it needs to be something more along the lines of "Free Oral For the Elderly Bill" which we had years ago
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Nope!
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hate this more than the Monarchy Bill!
RotatingPhasor
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye - After a bit more detail / otherwise nay.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
This is a joke bill, right? What is your reasoning for creating the "United States of Europe"? I urge anyone with a sense of logical thinking to vote Nay.

Can I ask whether there was any input by other Green party members on this?
Nope me on my own:yep: I had general dismissal but still wanted to put it out there.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is this some very subtle form of satire?
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Plain ridiculous.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Is this some very subtle form of satire?
In what way? I believe it's a really good idea. I could also encourage that the African Union and South American Union do the same.
toronto353
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope, I think that should come as no surprise.
Mazzini
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Um, nope.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mazzini)
Um, nope.
Even our shared love of MH won't get your support.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone who supports such nonsense ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be fair to Aph, I read the bill as the UK taking these steps if the EU begins the process of becoming a super-state, not that he's calling for the EU to become a super-state.

Still a Nay from me, though. I don't trust the European political system.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'No'.

Even if i could be persuaded to support the UK joining a union with anybody, the EU has a mirade of issues which would need to be sorted before i could even consider this and short of treaties with the MUN you couldn't really do it on here.

That being said, i'll play along and comment on this bill more widely..

1) Formatting needs sprucing up as does your spelling and grammar

2) Define what would mark the beginning of the process to becoming a super-state? Personally i'm not really euro-skeptic but i believe they've already begun making section 1 mute in part.

3) Section 3 breaches the rules for joining the Euro. We'd have to enter ERM2 for at least 2 years while satisfying other conditions.

4) Why? Justify this.

5) Makes little sense. To not protect UK borders means that non-EU immigrants can come. If your referring to what EU countries should do then this parliament does not have the legal power to make them do so.

6) As of right now we have no head of state.

7) Why? Why would us joining the EU affect our troops in Western Africa (something no doubt supported by the EU).

8) There is no president of the european union, going back to the point in post 5, we don't have the legal power to force one on them.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I need a drink after reading this unsupportable bill. I am not sure if Aph is actually pro-EU or if he is playing devil's advocate in a weird satirical way. British sovereignty should never be surrendered. If the EU want a United States of Europe they could had over their sovereignty to London; I would have no issues with that.

Furthering the discussion, could the author advise the house of plans for a military, treasury, border force, education departments, constituencies, role of current politicians, foreign policy and all of the other things an individual country has. What does he want the single European country to look like?

(Original post by Aph)
Calling Aph!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, although it'd be a nice (very) long term plan.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
'No'.

Even if i could be persuaded to support the UK joining a union with anybody, the EU has a mirade of issues which would need to be sorted before i could even consider this and short of treaties with the MUN you couldn't really do it on here.

That being said, i'll play along and comment on this bill .
1) I admit that it's not good but it is better then my previous drafts.
2) when all member states surrender sovereignty to Brussels.
3) that assumes we use the euro in a untitled states of Europe.
4) it is important that the whole of Europe learns the same things and goes towards creating a common language.
5) said nothing about not protecting boarders. I said we would open all boarders to eu citizens but non eu citizens would face thougher controls with more people guarding the boarder.
6) this is a future bill by which time we should have a head of state. If we can get the presidential amendment though.
7) the point is it shouldn't but if we get into a war which the new state doesn't want then we should call troops back.
8) there is? The Belgium guy who the uk opposed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads