Foundation Watch

Nemo182
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys, I'm new to TSR so don't know quite how it works. I hope I'm writing in the right area. Anyway I wanted to ask whether it would matter whether I took a foundation course or not.
[deleted]
Anyway thank you for reading this and I hope someone out there can give me some good advice.
HelveticaBold
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm a first year art student at Goldsmiths.
While I have very little confidence in the foundation system myself (I hated mine and it was no use to me at all), I'm afraid that Goldsmiths do absolutely require a foundation. They won't consider anyone without it, and you also have to complete it in the year that you are applying to university (this is a new requirement that has been added this year, apparently to stop re-applications).
However, I'm really glad I took a year out in-between a-levels and going to university. I felt the same as you initially, and I really just wanted to get on and go to university, but you get a whole extra year to develop your art as well as yourself. Also, you can earn some money as living in London does not come cheap (but maybe you live in London and know this already).
Most people in my year are actually in their mid-late 20s anyway, and I feel pretty young despite being a year older than the average first year.

There's nothing to stop you from applying this year to other places though, as most don't require a foundation. I think it's just Goldsmiths and CSM that require it.

I hope this helps and good luck with your applications.
wolfmurder
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HelveticaBold)
Hi, I'm a first year art student at Goldsmiths.
While I have very little confidence in the foundation system myself (I hated mine and it was no use to me at all), I'm afraid that Goldsmiths do absolutely require a foundation. They won't consider anyone without it, and you also have to complete it in the year that you are applying to university (this is a new requirement that has been added this year, apparently to stop re-applications).
However, I'm really glad I took a year out in-between a-levels and going to university. I felt the same as you initially, and I really just wanted to get on and go to university, but you get a whole extra year to develop your art as well as yourself. Also, you can earn some money as living in London does not come cheap (but maybe you live in London and know this already).
Most people in my year are actually in their mid-late 20s anyway, and I feel pretty young despite being a year older than the average first year.

There's nothing to stop you from applying this year to other places though, as most don't require a foundation. I think it's just Goldsmiths and CSM that require it.

I hope this helps and good luck with your applications.
Do they absolutely not consider you? I know someone who got in this year who I don't think did a foundation, but they didn't do A Levels they did a different qualification. If i had to do a foundation year it would break me, quite honestly. I've been desperate to get out of this city since I was about fourteen and Goldsmiths looks perfect for me. I'm so ready to go to uni and I'd hate to just... not be considered 'cause I haven't done a foundation. Would they not even ask for an e-portfolio? I thought they asked everyone for that?
HelveticaBold
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wolfmurder)
Do they absolutely not consider you? I know someone who got in this year who I don't think did a foundation, but they didn't do A Levels they did a different qualification. If i had to do a foundation year it would break me, quite honestly. I've been desperate to get out of this city since I was about fourteen and Goldsmiths looks perfect for me. I'm so ready to go to uni and I'd hate to just... not be considered 'cause I haven't done a foundation. Would they not even ask for an e-portfolio? I thought they asked everyone for that?
They do ask everyone for an e-portfolio and I don't know if they would realise you hadn't done a foundation at this stage.
Have you been to an open day? There's one on the 12th and 19th this month. This would be a great chance to ask in person, but I'm pretty sure they have a blanket policy about the foundation course. I agree that it's really unfair.
If you can't get to an open day then you can also e-mail them. Good luck!
wolfmurder
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They do ask everyone for an e-portfolio and I don't know if they would realise you hadn't done a foundation at this stage.
Have you been to an open day? There's one on the 12th and 19th this month. This would be a great chance to ask in person, but I'm pretty sure they have a blanket policy about the foundation course. I agree that it's really unfair.
If you can't get to an open day then you can also e-mail them. Good luck!
I was at an open day on Wednesday but I forgot to ask My mom emailed through last night and I got the answer that I 'would be rejected' if I applied. New goal is to do a year 0 at the Cass and apply again next year!
wolfmurder
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was at an open day on Wednesday but I forgot to ask My mom emailed through last night and I got the answer that I 'would be rejected' if I applied. New goal is to do a year 0 at the Cass and apply again next year!
Might apply anyway tho... I have a free choice I don't know what to do with. Take a risk.
HelveticaBold
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Might apply anyway tho... I have a free choice I don't know what to do with. Take a risk.
There's certainly no harm in adding them as your fifth choice if your already applying to other places anyway.
wolfmurder
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's certainly no harm in adding them as your fifth choice if your already applying to other places anyway.
In the end I put them as my fifth just to see what happens! I'd kick myself if i didn't apply. At least if i don't get in i tried.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.26%
No - but I will (21)
5.54%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.81%

Watched Threads