Computer Science Watch

UnknownDude
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey Imperial!

I'm interested or perhaps a wanting to be a potential undegraduate in Computer Science - more specifically G401 (did my research ) - at Imperial. At the moment, I am in year 12, so I have a year to decide whether or not to apply for Imperial. However, considering my GCSE results (5 A*s, 4 As and 1 B), I really think I should aim for the top universities. Currently, I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing. I find Maths and Further Maths very easy (finished C1 and C2 already :cool:) but Physics and Computing are abit wordy. I mean they aren't boring, it's just there are alot of words and like understanding to do. Anyways, I'm not to talk about my study worries... :rolleyes:

So, I'd really like to apply for Imperial next year and I'd just like to ask one question: What should I do, apart from banging good grades, in order to become a successful Computer Science applicant at Imperial?

Thanks!
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Grades are the most important by far. Do some coding outside of school or read about something interesting, just something to show interest
UnknownDude
Rep:
?
(Original post by TVIO)
Grades are the most important by far. Do some coding outside of school or read about something interesting, just something to show interest
Thanks, I'll try to implement those in my daily life.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would recommend working on a major personal project, or make some significant contributions to an open source project.

It seems like Imperial cares a lot more about that kind of things.

I was accepted into the Advanced Computing course with grades that I'm sure are far below those of their average applicants, but with tons of personal and industrial experience. It's their most intensive MSc course in computing, and they accepted 12 people this year. Not sure how many people applied to this course in particular, but it's about 1500 from all 3 of their computing MSc courses combined, and overall acceptance rate is >10:1.

Everyone I know in the course have done tons of very impressive projects. I'm sure they aren't asking for nearly as much from undergrad applicants, but Imperial computing courses are very practical (compared to other universities of similar calibre), and they obviously value that aspect of computing as well.
UnknownDude
Rep:
?
(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
I would recommend working on a major personal project, or make some significant contributions to an open source project.

It seems like Imperial cares a lot more about that kind of things.

I was accepted into the Advanced Computing course with grades that I'm sure are far below those of their average applicants, but with tons of personal and industrial experience. It's their most intensive MSc course in computing, and they accepted 12 people this year. Not sure how many people applied to this course in particular, but it's about 1500 from all 3 of their computing MSc courses combined, and overall acceptance rate is >10:1.

Everyone I know in the course have done tons of very impressive projects. I'm sure they aren't asking for nearly as much from undergrad applicants, but Imperial computing courses are very practical (compared to other universities of similar calibre), and they obviously value that aspect of computing as well.
Oh right thanks! Do you know or recommend any websites that include open source projects that I can join?
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by UnknownDude)
Oh right thanks! Do you know or recommend any websites that include open source projects that I can join?
Github would be a good starting point. And learn to use git while you are at it. Imperial has their own git hosting similar to github, and a lot of coursework is on there.
Iridann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Consider asking your school if they allow you to undertake an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) as those can boost your application.
UnknownDude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iridann)
Consider asking your school if they allow you to undertake an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) as those can boost your application.
Serious!!! Can I start it now? and they do it btw
Iridann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by UnknownDude)
Serious!!! Can I start it now? and they do it btw
I would recommend starting it after your AS exams and try to get a bit done in the summer. I for example am doing one where I create movement algorithms for a Lego NXT robot and translate those into programs written in a language called NXC which is similar in syntax to C.

Alternatively you could start it now if you have time around lessons and revision.
UnknownDude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iridann)
I would recommend starting it after your AS exams and try to get a bit done in the summer. I for example am doing one where I create movement algorithms for a Lego NXT robot and translate those into programs written in a language called NXC which is similar in syntax to C.

Alternatively you could start it now if you have time around lessons and revision.
Nahh tbh, i might as well just start in the summer since i want this year to be dedicated to exams so i can get good grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads