Got a low score for GCSE core science. Can I still take Science subjects for sixth fo Watch

mariiahh
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello! So I got a C overall (DDCA) in year 10 for Core Science. And I was honestly devastated as I wanted to study Medicine for university. Would I be able to make up for it this year for Additional science? I'm taking the higher test (AQA) :confused:

The college website says "...you must also have double award GCSE Science at grade B or above."
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah if you get an A/A* in the additional
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mariiahh)
Hello! So I got a C overall (DDCA) in year 10 for Core Science. And I was honestly devastated as I wanted to study Medicine for university. Would I be able to make up for it this year for Additional science? I'm taking the higher test (AQA) :confused:

The college website says "...you must also have double award GCSE Science at grade B or above."
Get at least an A in the additional science and you will be fine
Vidsify
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mariiahh)

You will probably need a B in additional to get in but an A/A* would be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
mariiahh
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Vidsify)
You will probably need a B in additional to get in but an A/A* would be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! Do you know if they look at the individual grade or the overall grade? Because I've been stressing out about the D that I got and was wondering if I had to get an A* to even it out. Since I went to the college yesterday and they said to get an A to even it out. But I only mentioned my overall grade.
Vidsify
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You get 2 science grades one in core and the other additional. If you get a least a B in additional you should get accepted for a level. For medicine you will need chemistry at ALevel and it will be one you can't drop as you need at least A because of the organic side in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Akbar1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It would be better if you chose to resit the Science GCSE to improve your grade.
04MR17
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only sometimes do colleges etc. look at individual units, were the Ds in exams? Was the A a coursework? What about the C? Only exam-based subjects will focus on the exam grade. Not to worry you though, if you've already been to ask them and they haven't mentioned it then they're not too concerned. Ending yr11 in 2015 is good because it's a low birth year = less competition for places.
rainbowcolours1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need at least a B in core science preferably an A or an A* to be in with a chance of achieving well in science subjects.
I suggest a retake.
I got an A in Core and A* in additional yet I'm struggling with A Level Biology.
physicsamor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I suggest a retake as well. It's not uncommon, my brother has to Unit 1 and Unit 2 of Science anyways (AQA)
You need to work hard to get at least an A in additional science, have you started revising for the exams in May? How are you finding unit 2? (C2, B2, P2)
I have and we still haven't started C2 yet but I'm learning it independently just in case we do not complete it. I'm aiming for an A because I got an A in core. I'm hoping to take Physics and Chemistry for AS so I need an A.
Uni's are more concerned on the A-Level grades so do not worry to much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise