The Student Room Group

Peterhouse - lowdown needed!

It's a titchy college, does this equate to it being harder to get into? Or does it have a fewer applicants per place?

How ready is it to take on women, I hear we are far out numbered by the men!

What is the bar like?

What is its traditional political leaning?

What are the achademic staff like? Nice? Approachable?

Anyone have any horror stories or other interesting tales?

What is the accomodation like?

I vant to know everything!!
Reply 1
Well, as to horror stories, there an exorcism at Peterhouse back in '97, apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/40871.stm
Reply 2
It's a titchy college, does this equate to it being harder to get into? Or does it have a fewer applicants per place?

Size doesn't seem to matter when it comes to applications. Peterhouse's unofficial motto is "We're not big and we're not clever". This basically means that as standards are lower than many other colleges it is no harder than average, or even easier, to get into.

How ready is it to take on women, I hear we are far out numbered by the men!

Times are changing and my year (now 2nd yrs) was about 60:40, much to the disappointment of my neighbour who had applied to be surrounded by eligable young bachelours.

What is the bar like?

Fairly average, nothing special. It does have a very cosy, friendly Peterhouse feeling though as you will always know 99% of the people in there. The JCR just upstairs is rather good as we have the only free pool table in the uni, a nice big TV, newspapers etc. Together the bar and JCR are the social heart of the college.

What is its traditional political leaning?

Conservative, although not to the extent widely believed.

What are the achademic staff like? Nice? Approachable?

The tutors (fellows from subjects other than that which you are studying) are lovely, as is the Dean. The other fellows are a mixed bunch, some caring, several Gay, all stupidly intelligent.

Anyone have any horror stories or other interesting tales?

There are many amusing stories to tell involving me and others in college and mostly alcohol, but you have to be there to appreciate them,

What is the accomodation like?

Not cheap but very good, especially Saint Peter's Terrace. My room was HUGE.

I vant to know everything!!

Everyone here loves it!
sounds really awesome :smile: and it is so pretty! I think I will end up appying there.... that, or Downing (which does look like a military achademy...*gulp*)

Latest

Trending

Trending