What is "Information Management"? Watch

Mr-Brightside
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been looking at the following placement:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/care...ion-management

Am I correct in thinking Information Management is the same as Information Technology? I know there is a separate department at my university for "Information Management" (I'm in computer science) but the description...

"IM serves the needs of over 30,000 internal users by providing them with essential applications, support, connectivity and hardware. IM serves commuters directly through big, customer-facing projects such as the Contactless Payments Scheme and London Underground's WiFi service, which provides people with access to the internet in Underground stations."

... makes it sound more like a IT/Technology based position?

Thanks.
moutonfou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr-Brightside)
I've been looking at the following placement:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/care...ion-management

Am I correct in thinking Information Management is the same as Information Technology? I know there is a separate department at my university for "Information Management" (I'm in computer science) but the description...

"IM serves the needs of over 30,000 internal users by providing them with essential applications, support, connectivity and hardware. IM serves commuters directly through big, customer-facing projects such as the Contactless Payments Scheme and London Underground's WiFi service, which provides people with access to the internet in Underground stations."

... makes it sound more like a IT/Technology based position?

Thanks.
It sounds more like you would be working in a team managing the provision of IT rather than the IT itself. We have similar teams in my workplace who are not IT experts but manage the logistical/project management side of making sure 1000+ employees have access to the right IT/equipment/connectivity for the best value for money. In this case it sounds like you might also be applying that to millions of customers. You could contact them to double check but it sounds like a more project management focused role where the project is the provision of IT services rather than an actual IT role.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's all about the management of data.

A few examples:
If you're in the data team within IM, you're in charge of creating data or manipulating it for your stakeholders.

If you're in a managerial role, you'll be working to refine or develop process flows for business crucial projects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.84%
No - but I will (110)
7.78%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.79%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise