Under investigation for an illness- does my employer have a right to know? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am having tests done as doctors think I have an illness. I have to take 3 days off work for my next test. I don't want to tell anyone what is going on until it's diagnosed and confirmed.

This test should be the final one to be able to diagnose me, but I don't know how long it will be until they confirm what they think it is... my employer is OK with my having the time off but they want to know why (which I guess is fair enough).

I will tell them once I know for sure, but I will have to fill in a form when I have the time off and it asks for the reason I was off... however at this time I doubt I will have been diagnosed.

Do I have to tell my employer the details, or should they be content with just knowing I was 'at hospital'? (I think 'at hospital' would be too vague and they would want more details- anyone could take a week off and claim they were at hospital)
BrainDrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am having tests done as doctors think I have an illness. I have to take 3 days off work for my next test. I don't want to tell anyone what is going on until it's diagnosed and confirmed.

This test should be the final one to be able to diagnose me, but I don't know how long it will be until they confirm what they think it is... my employer is OK with my having the time off but they want to know why (which I guess is fair enough).

I will tell them once I know for sure, but I will have to fill in a form when I have the time off and it asks for the reason I was off... however at this time I doubt I will have been diagnosed.

Do I have to tell my employer the details, or should they be content with just knowing I was 'at hospital'? (I think 'at hospital' would be too vague and they would want more details- anyone could take a week off and claim they were at hospital)
I think you would be fine just stating medical examinations/ tests without going into any detail, and if they needed one no doubt your doctor would provide a medical note for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.29%
No - but I will (77)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (486)
48.07%

Watched Threads