Temperature ,rate constant k and rate ??

Watch this thread
TheGemini
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys ,I've been going over kinetics (Chemistry unit 4 AQA) And im confused about how the effects of changing conditions on the rate constant and the normal rate of reaction.
So far I've read that the rate constant k is only affected by temperature and nothing else (sometimes by a catalyst).But the rate of reaction can be affected by pressure ,concentration etc.Why is this so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1445490
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
The rate equation is

Rate = K [A]x[B]y

So the only things which affect rate are the concentrations and K and if the rate changes one or both of these must change.
If we change rate by changing the conc (pressure for gases) then K remains constant but if we change the rate using temp (or some catalysts) then the conc of reactants remains the same so K is changing. If we raise the temp then the rate always increases so K increases with temp.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.22%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (21)
23.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.11%

Watched Threads