How to deal with someone who always feel the need to one-up on you? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been living in university private accommodation for three years now with the same friends. We've had a girl move in because she had nowhere else to live this year and her mannerisms are getting very annoying. It feels like to me that everything we say is a competition to her. She's one of those people where if you say "I used to have drama lessons when I was younger and did some performing on stage" the reply will be (in a group conversation context) "Oh, well I performed as a child actor at the Soho theatre". She seems to have a distorted perception of her abilities in any context. She'll say "I'm great at darts" and turn out to be atrocious. Typical example of a narcissist I think.

How do you deal with these kinds of people? I can put up with it but I'd really like to say something which will make her realise she's being arrogant (which she is in general) but won't harm our relationship and disrupt the 'Yin and Yang' of our house. I guess that's her personality and I can't do much about it... perhaps I'm just in need of a vent. How would you deal with someone like this?
Edminzodo
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been living in university private accommodation for three years now with the same friends. We've had a girl move in because she had nowhere else to live this year and her mannerisms are getting very annoying. It feels like to me that everything we say is a competition to her. She's one of those people where if you say "I used to have drama lessons when I was younger and did some performing on stage" the reply will be (in a group conversation context) "Oh, well I performed as a child actor at the Soho theatre". She seems to have a distorted perception of her abilities in any context. She'll say "I'm great at darts" and turn out to be atrocious. Typical example of a narcissist I think.

How do you deal with these kinds of people? I can put up with it but I'd really like to say something which will make her realise she's being arrogant (which she is in general) but won't harm our relationship and disrupt the 'Yin and Yang' of our house. I guess that's her personality and I can't do much about it... perhaps I'm just in need of a vent. How would you deal with someone like this?
Meditate? I'm not too sure, but I completely understand how you feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tell them? They might not realise what they're doing. A number of people do it because they want to add to the conversation instead of saying 'that's interesting' and don't realise that they're just bringing the conversation back on to themselves. Don't do it aggressively or anything but a surprisingly enough, they can realise that it's just a rubbish way to make conversation.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
haha I can see the potential for fun here, just say more and more outrageous things, make it a running joke with other people
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SophiaLDN)
Simple. I would cut them off.
I'd cut them off sooner
DErasmus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chickenonsteroids)
I'd cut them off sooner
Did I tell you about the time I got circumcised because I wanted to join the Orthodox Jews in Israel?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed