General Practitioner - What A levels and grades needed? Watch

Aty100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys so im currently in yr 11 and will need to pick my A levels by april. So for my GCSE i am doing (options)-Triple science, geography, business, French, (compulsory) - religious education, Maths, English lit and lang.

Im want to do something within science or math. I would prefer a career in medicine such as being a GP. What A levels and grades would i need to be a self employed GP?
I want to pick biology, chemistry, maths and economics... are these good options?
Also does anyone know what is the average salary a self employed GP makes in London, England compared to somewhere like in California, USA?

Thank you in advance.
President Putin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You'll need to have a profile of A*/A GCSE grades as well as a minimum of AAA at A-level to study medicine.

The rest of the questions I do not have an answer for.

Edit: But those A-level choices look more than fine. For medicine, it's usually expected that you study biology and chemistry.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aty100)
Hey guys so im currently in yr 11 and will need to pick my A levels by april. So for my GCSE i am doing (options)-Triple science, geography, business, French, (compulsory) - religious education, Maths, English lit and lang.

Im want to do something within science or math. I would prefer a career in medicine such as being a GP. What A levels and grades would i need to be a self employed GP?
I want to pick biology, chemistry, maths and economics... are these good options?
Also does anyone know what is the average salary a self employed GP makes in London, England compared to somewhere like in California, USA?

Thank you in advance.
Those A Level options are fine.
Aty100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the help guys
Lazy Cynic
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Top tip universities now want to see some variation within a level choices. Facilitating subjects would be good.
dale_b_1996
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AS Levels I would do Biology and Chemistry (essential), but then as your other two I would include something that shows a different side to your academic ability, for example, a report from the University of Leeds showed that they preferred someone that is all round skilled and not just medically capable. For this reason, having something that shows you can write well and think constructively such as English (preferably Lit - a lot more respected), Religious Studies or History, and then something else to show different skills... maybe a language? or Maths

In the second year it'd be up to you what you drop if you want to that is, but it would be essential to keep on with Biology and Chemistry at a high grade.

But all in all, all I can say is try not to be a sheep and follow the rest of Medical applicants with the 3 sciences and Maths, you want to be able to stand out to the tutor for that course and show how and why you are different and why you are more capable than other applicants
brutuswood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firstly you need to be accepted by medical school. 5/6 years. F1 F2 years as a very junior doctor. 3/4 years GP post graduate training including post grad exams (MRCGP etc) Leaves you as a qualified as a GP about 12 + years after A level. A level grades are pretty irrelevant once you are qualified and going into post grad training for GP or a hospital specialty.

Regarding remuneration hugely variable. GPs are a mix of salaried and partners in the business. Bottom of salaried might be £65K FTE top of partners earnings may be around £150K ish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39%
No - but I will (46)
6.79%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.53%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (316)
46.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise