The Student Room Group

Is Brighton a good choice?

I want to study a Master related to entrepreneurship and management. Does anyone have ideas about which universities in the UK are strong in "social entrepreneurship" or "non-profit"? Because I desire to do business where the society profits! :smile:

And I was wondering if the university of Brighton would be a good choice? Because I found that I can select other modules including Social Marketing if I study management there. Also I have a friend who works in Brighton so I'll have a place to stay there which could save me lots of money. But I'm not sure about its reputation and the employability after graduation. Or maybe Sussex would be better?

Any infos or advice would be very helpful for me! Thank you so much!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Brighton doesn't have the best business school out there, maybe not even middle of the pack.

Strathclyde is pretty good in Entrepreneurship, and has a pretty good business school as a whole.

Cardiff launched a very good entrepreneurship master's.

Original post by nicole3149
I want to study a Master related to entrepreneurship and management. Does anyone have ideas about which universities in the UK are strong in "social entrepreneurship" or "non-profit"? Because I desire to do business where the society profits!:smile:

Regardless of whatever you do, setting up a business almost always means society as a whole profits - you pay tax, employ staff who pay tax etc, and bang society as a whole improves. Most social enterprises are set up for a very specific purpose rather than benefiting the whole of society, so do you have a purpose in mind, have you identified a social problem that you think you can address by setting up a social enterprise?

Original post by nicole3149
Because I found that I can select other modules including Social Marketing if I study management there.

You'll find that social marketing isn't quite in the same area as social entrepreneurship, though they are related to some degree. In social marketing it's more about changing people's behaviour, e.g. get them to recycle instead of throwing everything in the bin - this is great, but won't make you any money, and a social enterprise needs to make money doing what it does, otherwise it's a charity.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your suggestion! I'll apply for good-ranking business school like Cardiff, Manchester, Warwick, etc. But also because of my budget, if I live in Brighton with my friend then I can cut down most of my rent.... Is the business courses there really not so good?

I do have a purpose by setting up a social enterprise, I want to change the way the world tackles poverty, especially for youth. Haven't got a clear idea how to make it though.

About social marketing, it's just one of the extra modules that I can choose from that Entrepreneurship management course. Because most of the core modules are already about how to make money, I was thinking probably I should also study something else from a different aspect. But If I really go there to study, I'll ask for details about it before choosing. =)

Quick Reply

Latest