The Student Room Group

What subject for investment banking?

Ok right now im in my second year of A levels and i study maths chemistry and german.
My results were
A in maths B in chem and german and c in biology.
i have now dropped biology.

After talking with a teacher at my school about what subject to do at uni, he said that in top banking they look at the university you went to more than the course and grade. bearing that in mind i have been thinking of doing

Business management
Accounting and Finance
Economics
International Business

Preferably i would liek to study it with german due to the extra bit it gives me and that i enjoy the language. Please help out soon, could aslo do with tips on what to convey for this type of course in my personal statement.

The universities that i was planning to apply to so far are LSE, Imperial, Aston and Bath. I havnt made my mind up entirely yet, but are these universities realistic with my grades, and a good personal statement?

thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bumo
Reply 2
You got an A in Maths!!, i would do Maths without delay. There is no better course than Maths as far as IB is concerned. I would seriously recommend maths because you got an A in it and do Further Maths to AS Level if possible.
Maths and Economics would be good to if you werent 100% sure your maths was up to degree level.
Reply 4
Accounting and Finance and Economics is a great start! Durham is good for Acc and Finance. Though of applying?
You need to go to Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, or Warwick. It doesn't really matter what degree to be honest. If you can't get into those universities, your chances will be limited, regardless of what you study. Please people don't take this personally, it's my experience being a politics student with an IB job for next year, from the people I've met at banks and assessment centers.
Reply 6
shady lane
You need to go to Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, or Warwick. It doesn't really matter what degree to be honest. If you can't get into those universities, your chances will be limited, regardless of what you study. Please people don't take this personally, it's my experience being a politics student with an IB job for next year, from the people I've met at banks and assessment centers.

If that is true, why do IB's come to Durham every year to ask students to take their IB courses?
There are functions in investment banks that are not investment banking: operations, technology, human resources, etc. aka middle/back office. I interviewed at 4 banks last term and I didn't meet a single Durham student--this was for a front-office position.
Reply 8
Just because you didn't meet any, doesn't mean none go into a front office position. And do I speak only for myself when I remind you that people with arts get into investment banking? - It totally depends on the individual rather than the Uni itself, I mean, it's all dependant on how the interview goes. Durham is a top University so I should be able to do something with a Acc and Finance degree from there. Right?
I have degrees in IR and Politics, so yes I know arts grads can get in. But I personally don't know anyone from Durham, arts or otherwise, in banking. I'm not saying they don't exist. Basically everyone I met was from Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, or Imperial. There was an odd Bath graduate. The rest were from European unis.
Reply 10
shady lane
I have degrees in IR and Politics, so yes I know arts grads can get in. But I personally don't know anyone from Durham, arts or otherwise, in banking. I'm not saying they don't exist. Basically everyone I met was from Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, or Imperial. There was an odd Bath graduate. The rest were from European unis.

OK cool! So which Uni are you at? And not being rude or anything, but how much will you be starting on next year with your IB job? Could you give me a rough estimate?
Currently at LSE. Will be starting on £36K.
Reply 12
Lucky Cow!
lol. Im guessing that is without her signing on and end of year bonus. She will probably earn alot more.
Reply 14
No seriously like drop it now! I am swimming in Jealous-sea
er ok. I wouldve though it is possible to get into IB from somewhere like Durham its just it will be a lot lot harder than it already is for someone else at a top 5 place (and its very hard for them anyway). I know that they look at the reputation of the uni rather than the course but there will be exceptions, Maths at Durham is only slightly behind Oxbridge and ahead of the London 3 so I doubt theyd be too bias against it. After all they just want whichever person they believe can maximise their profits.
Bertan
No seriously like drop it now! I am swimming in Jealous-sea

In fact, I bet she wont be far off 100k+ so long as she does a good job.

P.S. Im not joking :tongue:
Reply 17
shady lane
Currently at LSE. Will be starting on £36K.

BarCap went down??
rboogie
BarCap went down??

Crossed off my "Need to apply to" list. Thanks.
LBC213
Crossed off my "Need to apply to" list. Thanks.

Ahaha. I thought you knew?

Latest

Trending

Trending