Report Thread starter 4 years ago
???

Posted from TSR Mobile
xgemmaax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It makes no difference how it was studied, if anything studying online is a positive thing because you have to be very self motivated.
MrMango
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by xgemmaax)
It makes no difference how it was studied, if anything studying online is a positive thing because you have to be very self motivated.
Really though? take a subject like engineering though.. its a practical industry I dont see how it can be studied online at the same standards of a brick uni.. and surely this would put employers off

Posted from TSR Mobile
BestProfileName
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MrMango)
Really though? take a subject like engineering though.. its a practical industry I dont see how it can be studied online at the same standards of a brick uni.. and surely this would put employers off

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never seen evidence for what Gemma claims, honestly. I am sure it is true for some things, but I've just not seen it. You've got to remember that you're in the OU forum and so you'll likely encounter much bias. If you did a science degree at a brick university and did Maths with the OU, I am sure that would help you, for example. But you'd definitely be disadvantaged if you went for a PhD in, say, genetics, and you did a Nat Sci degree at the OU. Whilst there are practical modules they just don't cover anywhere near as much as mine did at a brick university.

That said, you could try and remedy that by doing some practical stuff on an internship basis.
Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MrMango)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many brick universities are also quite lacking on the practical front... plus, at the OU I'm sure you do residential courses and such to allow for at least some practical work.
Lambert87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
Many brick universities are also quite lacking on the practical front... plus, at the OU I'm sure you do residential courses and such to allow for at least some practical work.
I am studying (well almost finished) chemistry at the OU, one of the most practical subjects and me having little lab or practical experience has not put employers off at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
laalNick
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've found it's got me a graduate job before I'd even finished the degree. (Now finished just waiting for final results roll on December!!) I've done Maths & Computing so not as much practical as Lamberts Chemistry....(I have a diploma in Nat Sci from Durham years ago and I loved labs just wasn't so good at exams.........3 exams in one day then exams the next day and the next..... = me turning into a puddle of nervous goo....)
EnolaGay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having an online degree provided (A) Its from a reputed college/university (B) accredited and accepted worldwide won't put you down, not even in term of the employment and HR. I know many people taking online degree's now; engineering, sciences, arts, MBA's.. it's about flexibility. Ofcourse courses like engineering and sciences that involve lab would require you to attend the uni or center for practical session's but the certificate makes no difference at the end of the day!
Selfive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The OU allowed me to tick the 2:1 box. I will be eternally grateful for this. I do not think the "online" element of it is detrimental, as long as you can show the qualities that it will give you - time management, dedication, ability to study independently etc. These are all true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise