First meeting with uni counsellors Monday- what to expect? Watch

hermitthefrog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've finally plucked up the courage to go see my university counsellors on Monday. I've written down a rough idea of what I want to say but I'm worried that I might sound confused- I've spoken about my low mood, obsession with weight a calories etc and a binge-eating problem- I think the three are all linked together, but they might see it as me not really having a clear focus on what the problem is. Also, will they ask me questions, or expect me to do most of the talking? Does anyone have experience with uni counsellors is it good/ worthwhile?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nerol
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hermitthefrog)
I've finally plucked up the courage to go see my university counsellors on Monday. I've written down a rough idea of what I want to say but I'm worried that I might sound confused- I've spoken about my low mood, obsession with weight a calories etc and a binge-eating problem- I think the three are all linked together, but they might see it as me not really having a clear focus on what the problem is. Also, will they ask me questions, or expect me to do most of the talking? Does anyone have experience with uni counsellors is it good/ worthwhile?

Posted from TSR Mobile
First of all, don't worry about how you think they will react - they are trained not to judge and to listen patiently and impartially. The point of counselling is for you to talk through your problems in hopes you will discover a solution, or just to get things off your chest. They will ask you a few questions, but it's mostly a chance for you to talk. In my experience, I've found counselling very helpful, even though I was sceptical at first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
49.06%
No - but I will (1)
1.89%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (25)
47.17%

Watched Threads