The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chizz1889
Got an offer of A*AA in maths/f. maths & chemistry for Natural Sciences, also got into my preferred college, Collingwood :biggrin:

ooh another maths person (well maths and chemistry but still...! exiting) well done! are you going to a post offer visit day?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by lexyy8742
I applied to Butler which I really wanted but have been allocated Van Mildert, don't really know what it's like but wondering if you could give me some idea?

I applied to Van Mildert and got it, went to see Van Mildert on one of the open days back in June. I choose it for several reasons. One - its near my department so no early mornings :biggrin:, butler if i remember is quite far out so this may be a benefit. Two - it is one of the only colleges that can guarantee no shared rooms. Three it just has a nice atmosphere and the activities and stuff it does looks a lot funner than some of the stuffier older colleges (in my opinion :colondollar:). also it has a lake! how cool is that! i'm hoping to ice skate when global warming leads to a colder climate in the north :cool:
Original post by melissafrat
Apparently there'll be at chad's ambassadors at 2:30 at the station so I think I'll stay there until then! Hopefully see you there ������

Yeah, I heard they'd be taking people to the college. And yeah it would be nice to know a couple of people first so I'm not surrounded by complete strangers haha
Reply 903
Original post by hperkins
I applied to Van Mildert and got it, went to see Van Mildert on one of the open days back in June. I choose it for several reasons. One - its near my department so no early mornings :biggrin:, butler if i remember is quite far out so this may be a benefit. Two - it is one of the only colleges that can guarantee no shared rooms. Three it just has a nice atmosphere and the activities and stuff it does looks a lot funner than some of the stuffier older colleges (in my opinion :colondollar:). also it has a lake! how cool is that! i'm hoping to ice skate when global warming leads to a colder climate in the north :cool:

Haha, hijacking this comment thread just to say I love your reasons. I got allocated to Van Mildert and I have to say I've fallen in love! Definitely the best college in my biased opinion :cool:. And also that I think I definitely saw some images of the lake frozen over, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried ice skating on it. (Also saw some images of when the lake flooded into some nearby halls! Not as fun)
Original post by JD7
Haha, hijacking this comment thread just to say I love your reasons. I got allocated to Van Mildert and I have to say I've fallen in love! Definitely the best college in my biased opinion :cool:. And also that I think I definitely saw some images of the lake frozen over, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried ice skating on it. (Also saw some images of when the lake flooded into some nearby halls! Not as fun)

Glad you agree :biggrin:. If we go there, we will have to pioneer a new tradition of ice skating on the lake. as to the flooding well i'm just going to pray that i don't get allocated a bottom floor room. Are you going to one of the post offer visit days next week?
Reply 905
Glad you agree :biggrin:. If we go there, we will have to pioneer a new tradition of ice skating on the lake. as to the flooding well i'm just going to pray that i don't get allocated a bottom floor room. Are you going to one of the post offer visit days next week?

Oh my god, I fully support this new tradition! That would be so awesome. Yeah, I don't want to get allocated to the bottom floor either! Top floor pleeeease, allocation gods! And no :frown: ... I would have loved to go but just way too expensive! Are you?
Original post by JD7
Oh my god, I fully support this new tradition! That would be so awesome. Yeah, I don't want to get allocated to the bottom floor either! Top floor pleeeease, allocation gods! And no :frown: ... I would have loved to go but just way too expensive! Are you?

Yes i am, but i'm kinda nervous not knowing anyone or anything ah well i suppose everyone is in the same boat. Travel to Durham is really expensive! I suppose its because its quite remote/small.
Reply 907
Yes i am, but i'm kinda nervous not knowing anyone or anything ah well i suppose everyone is in the same boat. Travel to Durham is really expensive! I suppose its because its quite remote/small.

Ah yeah, don't sweat it too much! As you said, you're all in the same boat. And I've found everyone is much more friendlier and approachable when you're all strangers so it'll be grand. Super jealous of everyone going! Will you be staying the night at Mildert?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm Law and I've been allocated to St. Aidans. I wasn't that keen on being charged for staying at the college as I would have thought it would have been free for offer holders.

question:

- Do we get a taxi from the station to the college? There will be reps at the station, but do we walk there..?
Original post by 105263
I'm Law and I've been allocated to St. Aidans. I wasn't that keen on being charged for staying at the college as I would have thought it would have been free for offer holders.

question:

- Do we get a taxi from the station to the college? There will be reps at the station, but do we walk there..?

Hi. It says in the Open Day Guide (page 14) "shuttle bus to college"
Original post by southernbelle123
Hi. It says in the Open Day Guide (page 14) "shuttle bus to college"

Ok cheers!
Original post by JD7
Ah yeah, don't sweat it too much! As you said, you're all in the same boat. And I've found everyone is much more friendlier and approachable when you're all strangers so it'll be grand. Super jealous of everyone going! Will you be staying the night at Mildert?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am gunna stay the night at Mildert, decided if I was gunna make the 6 hour trip I might as well make it worth it :biggrin:
received an offer for combined hons in arts :smile:
Original post by aimee_pugsley97
Ah thats good! Hope you hear from Edinburgh soon! Oh I know the feeling!! Fingers crossed exams go well! Hope you enjoy your open day:smile:

Yeah I got an offer! Finally haha! Thank you, you too x
Is anyone going to the Monday-Tuesday St Chad's Open Day? Or the Geography lecture?

Im doing both :smile:
Oh cool! Yeah I've got a place to do Geography BSc at Durham! How about you? I may see you there!

Awesome! Yeah I've got a place to do Geography BA! Yeah hopefully!
Reply 916
Anyone going to Hatfield/ History talks mon-tues?? x
Original post by social outcast
Im doing both :smile:

Cool!! Just packing now but what do you think the theme of the attire for the dinner will be?!
Hopefully see you there!
Original post by aimee_pugsley97
Awesome! Yeah I've got a place to do Geography BA! Yeah hopefully!

Congratulations!! 😊😊
Congratulations!! ������������

Thankyou! You too!! Is Durham your first choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending