Durham offer holders 2015 thread Watch

tippi97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have no idea how I'm meant to fill out this module registration, can anybody help?
RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nutellaqe)
I was just wondering whether any Collingwood people (or any other college, I'm not sure whether it's the same for everyone) know anything about the college charges. I'm a little confused as to whether they are compulsory or not, or whether opting out of some charges will mean you're excluded from certain events etc? Thanks in advance!
At Castle you can opt out of most things, and that's a requirement by law in some cases.

For example, you can opt out of JCR membership, but that will basically leave you with a place to eat and sleep, without subsidised formals and without a subsidised bar or whatever other facilities your JCR provides. I'm sure your College Secretary or JCR Exec will be able to clarify exactly what opting out of JCR membership means.

If your College is gowned, you'll need a gown for matriculation, but you may be able to just hire one.

We can opt out of alumni association, which means you won't get invited to events after graduating.

Opting out of Freshers week would mean you could go to your introductory lectures but just eat and sleep your way through Freshers.

Basically you can opt out of anything but it will leave you with not a lot to do at college despite study, eat and sleep. In which case I'm sorry to say you might not have picked the best University for that kind of experience.
emilyhaighjacobs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm considering applying for Durham to study english lit next year. My GCSE results were average (A* in lit!) and my AS results have just come in at A (Philosophy and ethics- 100% in ethics!!) A in English lit ( almost full marks) and a B in fine art (which is getting remarked- my teacher said it shouldn't have been anything less than an A!) providing my AS changes to AAA after the art remark- what is the likeliness of an offer/interview? Do they interview all candidates? I'm so exited- going to the open day in a few weeks!
nutellaqe
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe)
At Castle you can opt out of most things, and that's a requirement by law in some cases.

For example, you can opt out of JCR membership, but that will basically leave you with a place to eat and sleep, without subsidised formals and without a subsidised bar or whatever other facilities your JCR provides. I'm sure your College Secretary or JCR Exec will be able to clarify exactly what opting out of JCR membership means.

If your College is gowned, you'll need a gown for matriculation, but you may be able to just hire one.

We can opt out of alumni association, which means you won't get invited to events after graduating.

Opting out of Freshers week would mean you could go to your introductory lectures but just eat and sleep your way through Freshers.

Basically you can opt out of anything but it will leave you with not a lot to do at college despite study, eat and sleep. In which case I'm sorry to say you might not have picked the best University for that kind of experience.
Not at all, I was only asking so as to try to save where possible. Thanks for the explanation - was simply a little confused as to what all the charges were, but you've cleared that up so thanks.
cumbrianexpress
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emilyhaighjacobs)
Hi, I'm considering applying for Durham to study english lit next year. My GCSE results were average (A* in lit!) and my AS results have just come in at A (Philosophy and ethics- 100% in ethics!!) A in English lit ( almost full marks) and a B in fine art (which is getting remarked- my teacher said it shouldn't have been anything less than an A!) providing my AS changes to AAA after the art remark- what is the likeliness of an offer/interview? Do they interview all candidates? I'm so exited- going to the open day in a few weeks!
Hi Well you have chosen one of the hardest subjects to get into at Durham! Typical offers are A*AA. They very rarely interview.

The nearly full marks in English will help and I would work up a good personal statement but please don't take an offer for granted. The typical entrant has A Level points in line with or exceeding those of Oxbridge.
[email protected]
Badges: 9
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emilyhaighjacobs)
Yeah Durham is unusually in the sense that it very very rarely interviews, just make sure you have lots of good stuff to right about in PS (I do science so wont be much help on what things you should write about but make sure your PS shines)
Futuredoctor123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi everyone!

My sister wants to apply to Durham for Law this September but we know it's one of their most competitive courses so if anyone who has received an offer from them help us out please?
She got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE. And 4As at AS and is predicted A*AA.
She's worried that her GCSEs are not good enough for law at Durham as she heard rumours of an 8A* cut off? Is this true?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Anny Smiles
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Futuredoctor123)
Hi everyone!

My sister wants to apply to Durham for Law this September but we know it's one of their most competitive courses so if anyone who has received an offer from them help us out please?
She got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE. And 4As at AS and is predicted A*AA.
She's worried that her GCSEs are not good enough for law at Durham as she heard rumours of an 8A* cut off? Is this true?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
I think there might be a statement about GCSEs somewhere on Durham's website... I doubt it's true, I'm not sure that my law friends all have 8 A* and it doesn't sound like how appplications work from our experience. Those are some great AS grades and I think they matter more. Anyway, applying through UCAS gives you 5 choices. You can only accept 2 (a firm and an insurance) so it makes sense to dream big and apply somewhere which is a dream but not a guaranteed offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Futuredoctor123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anny Smiles)
I think there might be a statement about GCSEs somewhere on Durham's website... I doubt it's true, I'm not sure that my law friends all have 8 A* and it doesn't sound like how appplications work from our experience. Those are some great AS grades and I think they matter more. Anyway, applying through UCAS gives you 5 choices. You can only accept 2 (a firm and an insurance) so it makes sense to dream big and apply somewhere which is a dream but not a guaranteed offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
From your experience what would a competitive LNAT score be for Durham? Thanks!
trubadur
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are Giffgaff and Lebara recommended for Durham area(mobile and internet for smartphones networks)?Any hint is highly welcome.Thanks
Aden656
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Got an Offer for Accounting and Finance with Placement!!! After Wawrick my heart was set on Durham. So glad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

How has 2019 been so far?