The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MO2898
Also, not sure if you sat it or not but the unit 2 paper last week had two questions covering phase relationships in waves.

I didn't sit it, was there anything I should know?
Reply 821
Original post by BecauseFP
I didn't sit it, was there anything I should know?

Well both AS papers had quite a bit of scope for error and the whole thing to me felt like I was crawling under barbed wire. It mostly had explanation questions as have most recent papers and you had to pick your words really carefully in them.
Original post by MO2898
Well both AS papers had quite a bit of scope for error and the whole thing to me felt like I was crawling under barbed wire. It mostly had explanation questions as have most recent papers and you had to pick your words really carefully in them.

I think I can handle explanation questions, in all honesty I think all I'll need before being happy to sit the exam is an acceptable definition of phase difference for G484 stuff.
Does anyone have a revision checklist they wish to share with the rest of us? Looking to just go over and make sure I've got everything.😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
How to set out experiments when checking for SHC of a liquid and a SHC for a solid?
Could someone explain how to answer question 2b)ii) January 2013 paper.
Thanks
Reply 826
Hi

Can anyone explain why a satellite can't be in a stationary orbit over the poles or if it's in line with the centre of mass?

I know the bullet points to say in the exam but I don't understand why it can't? Is it because the satellite itself would need to be stationary?
Anyone know where to find the 2014 G484 Papers? Jan and Jun along with their mark schemes?
There cannot be a geostationary satellite anywhere else, except above the equator(in an equatorial orbit). There cannot be a geostationary satellite at the poles, basically because it would have to be at rest, which cannot happen as it would get pulled by the earth's gravity and eventually crash to the surface.
Reply 829
Original post by TrollWarlord
There cannot be a geostationary satellite anywhere else, except above the equator(in an equatorial orbit). There cannot be a geostationary satellite at the poles, basically because it would have to be at rest, which cannot happen as it would get pulled by the earth's gravity and eventually crash to the surface.

Ahh yeah that's what I thought. Many thanks! You don't happen to know the specific wording they want to explain the centripetal acceleration and the centripetal force?

Do you say that the centripetal acceleration is always perp to the velocity/ towards centre of the circle and so is the force?
Original post by Jim997
Ahh yeah that's what I thought. Many thanks! You don't happen to know the specific wording they want to explain the centripetal acceleration and the centripetal force?

Do you say that the centripetal acceleration is always perp to the velocity/ towards centre of the circle and so is the force?

The main idea is that despite the fact that the velocity is changing due to it changing direction (meaning that it must be accelerating), it won't be moving towards the Earth because the magnitude of the velocity isn't changing because the kinetic energy isn't changing (the force is at right angles to motion so it does no work). So I suppose the explanation they want would depend on the question, but you should be able to do it from what I've said.
Original post by Jim997

Velocity/direction is always changing. Acceleration is in the direction of the force, towards the centre and perpendicular to velocity.
How does potential energy increase in liquids and gases on a molecular level?
Would the gain in potential energy be greater from liquid to gas than solid to liquid?
Original post by AwesomeSauce#1
Anyone know where to find the 2014 G484 Papers? Jan and Jun along with their mark schemes?

There is no Jan :tongue: Have you got hold of June yet?
Quick recap:

How would I answer the following:

1. Explain how an object falls off a roundabout in circular motion in terms of centripetal acceleration.

2. How does an object in circular motion always have a constant speed?

I have a vague idea but I've forgotten:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leechayy
Quick recap:

How would I answer the following:

1. Explain how an object falls off a roundabout in circular motion in terms of centripetal acceleration.

2. How does an object in circular motion always have a constant speed?

I have a vague idea but I've forgotten:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

See above.

Anyone got any clue for how to define phase difference for SHM?
See above.

Anyone got any clue for how to define phase difference for SHM?

Fraction of a cycle between two points in terms of its distance from equilibrium position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leechayy
Fraction of a cycle between two points in terms of its distance from equilibrium position?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That almost sounds like your using a distance rather than an angle, what would you put in an exam?
That almost sounds like your using a distance rather than an angle, what would you put in an exam?

Its one point but I'm not too sure tbh, in terms of radians surely isn't enough since its a straight line graph of a being proportional to -x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 839

My definition is quite good I think.

The angle, in radians between subsequent wave peaks.

Latest

Trending

Trending