The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

It's me again just popping up for a chat. Shame I couldn't make the exam today but I couldn't agree terms with ocr, apparently xenon ions and disproving Newton is more interesting than measuring an ostrich with a ruler :/

Sorry I couldn't save you guys
Original post by G481 Ostrich
Hey guys,

It's me again just popping up for a chat. Shame I couldn't make the exam today but I couldn't agree terms with ocr, apparently xenon ions and disproving Newton is more interesting than measuring an ostrich with a ruler :/

I wouldn't show your face here... You threw me of G481 exam last year
Original post by G481 Ostrich
Hey guys,

Disproving Newton? What are you on about 😂 we were disproving a students statement..
Original post by theRaffa
it's because the aircraft would get lighter as it burns fuel numbnuts

Well that wasn't obvious

It said it was solar powered

So energy from sun converted into mass... E=mc²

So people might have thought mass stays same, because it was energy converted into the mass of ions
Original post by francescajames96
the question stated that the amplitude was constant

The question stated that the amplitude of the driving oscillator stayed constant not the metal plate
Reply 1825
Original post by tory_lee_x
Fingers and toes crossed then!!!

We'll just try to disprove the MS with the idea of absolute zero not being achievable I guess XD ... :/ I've screwed up
Original post by rachelc142
I think it was around 2 = 10^-3

me, and further maths, applied for physics :-)

I recall 2.8 x10-3
Original post by chem@uni
I definitely got 86 at one point

I got 45 and 41.1= 86.1
Original post by Futuremedic2096
I recall 2.8 x10-3

something like that yes
I got an A in G481 and G482 last year, and could easily get 55+ marks on past papers. Today's exam just felt like a blur, I have no idea how well I've done. It's such a horrible feeling opening up a paper and seeing something you never even perceived would come up, which leads to you going into a panic.

Questions 3 to 6 weren't even that bad, I was just in such a shock that I struggled to remain calm and analyse everything. I didn't even ****ing realise there was a question on resonance, and drew a displacement/time graph!

Never before have I been completely stumped on how to begin answering the first two questions of an exam. I eventually answered question 2, but god knows if I was correct.

I'm really hoping for a more manageable G485 paper, not necessarily an 'easy' paper, just one that doesn't send you into complete dis-coordination by making you question the physics you've been learning for the last few years.
What the actual **** was the second page though, the u^2 and horizontal displacement thing
I just completely bs'ed my way through it
How many marks was the question where it asked about the absolute scale thing? And what did people say for it?
Original post by FeelsToWaltz
I got an A in G481 and G482 last year, and could easily get 55+ marks on past papers. Today's exam just felt like a blur, I have no idea how well I've done. It's such a horrible feeling opening up a paper and seeing something you never even perceived would come up, which leads to you going into a panic.

Questions 3 to 6 weren't even that bad, I was just in such a shock that I struggled to remain calm and analyse everything. I didn't even ****ing realise there was a question on resonance, and drew a displacement/time graph!

Never before have I been completely stumped on how to begin answering the first two questions of an exam. I eventually answered question 2, but god knows if I was correct.

I'm really hoping for a more manageable G485 paper, not necessarily an 'easy' paper, just one that doesn't send you into complete dis-coordination by making you question the physics you've been learning for the last few years.

I know what you mean, same thing happened to me in my fp1 exam, i'd get 95-100 percent in past papers, and I got stuck in one question and my mind went blank for the rest of the exam, probably got 78-82 ums, now whenever I see something odd and can't do it instantly I just skip it and come back to it at the end of the exam, hopefully it didnt go to bad
Original post by Futuremedic2096
I recall 2.8 x10-3

yeah that's it! cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well that wasn't obvious

It said it was solar powered

So energy from sun converted into mass... E=mc²

So people might have thought mass stays same, because it was energy converted into the mass of ions

That means its electronics is powered by solar energy. The fuel subsystem and the electrical system are completely different. The ions would be stored in the the spacecraft like normal fuel, and then its ionised and shot out by an electric field, which puts a force on the spacecraft by CLM.

Solar powered spacecraft get on the order of like 10W of energy from the Sun, that would maybe make like a gram of mass in 1000 billion years :tongue:
For the 2 mark V-T graph, what did you guys put?

I said that since VTV \propto T and there cannot be less than 0 volume, there must be a minimum possible value for T which is when V=0.
Is there an unofficial mark scheme?
I don't want to know how bad I did but at the same time I want to be prepared for the worst.
Original post by doctor_2_be
Is there an unofficial mark scheme?
I don't want to know how bad I did but at the same time I want to be prepared for the worst.

Apparently there's a teacher who's gonna do it

@L'Evil Fish said earlier that they were watching this thread, which I assume means they have a TSR account so you could PM them
Original post by Elcor

I said that since VTV \propto T and there cannot be less than 0 volume, there must be a minimum possible value for T which is when V=0.

I said that if you extrapolate the graph back to where v=0, the intersection with the temp axis is the point of absolute zero, the point at which the gas would occupy zero volume and would have min energy.

I'm not sure how many marks this would get, I never said V prop to T...
Original post by Elcor

Just babbled about extrapolating the graph :wink: since a gdt and y-int were given a val of min temp can be deduced by continuing the graph and obvs you cant have -ve volume so this must be the min temp possible

Latest

Trending

Trending