The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Can someone explain how the temperature of the Universe and the cosmic background radiation are linked?
Anyone have good videos on this topic?
Original post by Elcor
Can someone explain how the temperature of the Universe and the cosmic background radiation are linked?

Wavelengths have associated temperatures

OCR say, gamma rays cooled down to microwaves, and their associated temperature is around 3K

So the fact the universe is 2.7K is proof that this cool down did occur as calculated
Original post by SkilledNChilled
REPOST: What actually is primordial helium? And what is a concise list and explanations of the evidence for the big bang? The book is quite vague. Thank you!

primordial helium is basically just a name given for a helium-4 that was produced during the big bang, few seconds after it was cool enough for the quarks to become baryons and fuse together to create helium nuclei
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SkilledNChilled
REPOST: What actually is primordial helium? And what is a concise list and explanations of the evidence for the big bang? The book is quite vague. Thank you!

Pre-Morial helium is to do with all the fusion that happened at the start of the universe and that there was a huge imbalance of neutrons and protons mate
Original post by chem@uni
Anyone have good videos on this topic?

YouTube channel "LSCphysics" they have G485 lectures :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 966
What's the definition of binding energy according to a mark scheme?
Original post by Elcor
What's the definition of binding energy according to a mark scheme?

off the top of my head I believe it is something along the lines of
"the amount of energy required to separate a nucleus into its constituent parts"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay... so, for a flat universe, does the universe:

- stop accelerating after an infinite amount of time, or
- stop expanding after an infinite amount of time?

The graphs that I've seen show the 'flat' line tends to the horizontal, meaning that the universe would eventually stop expanding altogether, but the text in my OCR textbook says that it would only stop accelerating (and hence still keep expanding, but at a constant rate, forever).

Can someone help clarify this for me?
Original post by The Room Student

The graphs that I've seen show the 'flat' line tends to the horizontal, meaning that the universe would eventually stop expanding altogether, but the text in my OCR textbook says that it would only stop accelerating (and hence still keep expanding, but at a constant rate, forever).

it will keep expanding towards a finite limit that it will never reach
ie expands for infinite amount of time but into finite amount of space
so it tends towards this limit but doesn't reach it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
it will keep expanding towards a finite limit that it will never reach
ie expands for infinite amount of time but into finite amount of space
so it tends towards this limit but doesn't reach it

Thanks! So after a (theoretical) infinite amount of time, it would stop growing, in effect...

Not that it ever actually would. But mathematically speaking. That makes good sense. :smile:

The rate of expansion or acceleration will tend towards zero, therefore the size of the universe will expand to eventually reach a finite size when rate of expansion is 0.
Does anyone have the specimen paper for this exam? specimen or specification?

Found it on the OCR website. Don't worry. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 973
Original post by Elcor

cbr was supoosedly created at the Big Bang and it's the tempreture is the same as the temp of universe which supports big bang?
Thanks! So after a (theoretical) infinite amount of time, it would stop growing, in effect...

Not that it ever actually would. But mathematically speaking. That makes good sense. :smile:

Yeah! ah I am glad :-) I can't remember where I first read that but yeah I liked that way of describing it too haha :-p

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 975
Is it safe to not revise B scans and Pet scans since it came up last year? Or do they sometimes consecutively repeat things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xy0mz
Is it safe to not revise B scans and Pet scans since it came up last year? Or do they sometimes consecutively repeat things

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont think it will come up
so no point learning them, cos if it did come up; we can all basically copy off mark scheme answer out from last year
and gain full marks
Reply 977
Original post by emparker1
The rate of expansion or acceleration will tend towards zero, therefore the size of the universe will expand to eventually reach a finite size when rate of expansion is 0.

..That's not true; if the rate of expansion decreased to 0, the Universe would still be expanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 978
Original post by Makashima
i dont think it will come up
so no point learning them, cos if it did come up; we can all basically copy off mark scheme answer out from last year
and gain full marks

There is nothing stopping them from repeating questions. It has happened before.
Reply 979
Original post by emparker1

The rate of expansion never reaches 0 because that implies the universe will stop expanding and reach the finite limit, but the theory states the universe never reaches this limit. The rate of expansion is asymptotic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending