The Student Room Group

Will the ticket price make football lose a generation of fans?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
The worrying thing is that it isn't purely Premier League fans being priced out now, though. Clubs with large stadiums in the lower leagues are hiking their prices up and it's ridiculous. It costs £25 to see Coventry v Walsall at the Ricoh Arena ffs.

That's a standard price in League One these days, no wonder so many clubs struggle to sell more than 5k tickets.

Wouldn't surprise me to see non league clubs charging £20+.
Original post by sr90
That's a standard price in League One these days, no wonder so many clubs struggle to sell more than 5k tickets.

Some aren't too far off, Ebbsfleet tickets have cost me close to £15 before for Conference/Conference South level football. Mind you, being able to stand up immediately behind the goal, chat with the keeper when the balls at the other end and be less than a metre from the pitch is a footballing experience second to none.

Our (Wolves) tickets aren't too expensive but are still far above the leagues average and were last season as well in league one, I'd hate to be a fan of a big team, not only are the ticket prices horrendously expensive but there's just no atmosphere, United away has to be the worst I've ever seen, the home fans were basically silent.
Reply 22
I think in ten or twenty years clubs will really feel the effect of this. People are already not being able to go to matches, and so they will not take their children to matches, and a whole generation of children will grow up never having experienced live matches / "bonded" with their club in this way. (Not that this bothers me at all tbh, but I think football clubs should be concerned about it.)

I'm not sure how big the effect will be, since I'm guessing for PL clubs at least, the biggest income is TV money anyway, so perhaps it will affect League clubs more than PL clubs, but I definitely think clubs will see this effect in the next generation.
Original post by sr90

We're pretty close to charging £20. For an adult ticket Wrexham charge £19 in two of their stands and £15 for the stand behind the goal. For us to break-even we have to have an attendance of 3000 each home game. Our current average attendance is 3300 so we're just above that line. Lower the prices and you can say we'd get a bigger crowd but there is no guarantee that would bring the fans in as once you get a run of poor results a lot of fans would soon disappear, which tends to happen pretty often at Wrexham. I guess with the smaller clubs like this some just can't take the risk with lowering the prices and with us only just overcoming our financial problems within the last couple of seasons it seems to be a risk too big for us to take.

It is worrying how the prices have rocketed so much though. The other day I found an old ticket for Wrexham vs Shrewsbury for a League 2 game in 2006. I paid £3.00 for a child ticket. To sit in that stand today as a child it costs £14.00, and that's for a game in the League below.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ra-ra-ra
We're pretty close to charging £20. For an adult ticket Wrexham charge £19 in two of their stands and £15 for the stand behind the goal. For us to break-even we have to have an attendance of 3000 each home game. Our current average attendance is 3300 so we're just above that line. Lower the prices and you can say we'd get a bigger crowd but there is no guarantee that would bring the fans in as once you get a run of poor results a lot of fans would soon disappear, which tends to happen pretty often at Wrexham. I guess with the smaller clubs like this some just can't take the risk with lowering the prices and with us only just overcoming our financial problems within the last couple of seasons it seems to be a risk too big for us to take.

It is worrying how the prices have rocketed so much though. The other day I found an old ticket for Wrexham vs Shrewsbury for a League 2 game in 2006. I paid £3.00 for a child ticket. To sit in that stand today as a child it costs £14.00, and that's for a game in the League below.

That is criminal paying even close to £20 at Wrexham. In the Conference as well ffs :eek:. For the 100th time as I'm sure people are sick of me pointing it out, I pay £25 at Villa (that is too much btw). Even less if I can be arsed to get it through my mate's season ticket.
Original post by Wilfred Little
That is criminal paying even close to £20 at Wrexham. In the Conference as well ffs :eek:. For the 100th time as I'm sure people are sick of me pointing it out, I pay £25 at Villa (that is too much btw). Even less if I can be arsed to get it through my mate's season ticket.

You guys probably make a nicer cup of tea for a cheaper price too! :closedeyes:
Reply 26
I really hope they add standing again, fits more people in the stadium, more atmosphere, more money for owners win win for everyone.
As long tourists/business men/rich go to fill up the stadiums, football clubs will not give a toss about ticket prices.
I find it even more absurd that even some league 1/2 clubs are charging ridiculous amounts for games.
Reply 28
I use to go to rangers and Scotland games a lot and surprisingly the tickets were quite cheap. Now I live I England I occasionally go to London games but they are so expensive. I wanted to see an arsenal game about a year ago, was about £50, so instead I went to west ham and it was only £10. £50 is a bit silly for a football ticket, some concerts are cheaper!
I am a strong Crawley Town fan and I won 3 season tickets. However i would not go and watch them play at the moment for the price you have to pay!! Crawley town are a frustrating team to watch as they can't score! Crawleys attendance rarely goes about 2,500. Money has taken over Football

Quick Reply

Latest