How the heck do I calculate the enthalpy change for this reaction? Watch

radprincess
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
When 25cm2 of 1.0 mol dm-3 sulphuric acid is added to 25 cm3 2.0 mol dm-3 sodium hydroxide solution, the temperature rise is 13C

i have already worked out the energy transferred which is 2730J but I don't even think I needed to work it out.

I am finding energetics and enthalpy changes really hard and I don't know what do do. :confused:
I'm so stupid fml
charco
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by radprincess)
When 25cm2 of 1.0 mol dm-3 sulphuric acid is added to 25 cm3 2.0 mol dm-3 sodium hydroxide solution, the temperature rise is 13C

i have already worked out the specific heat capacity which is 2730J but I don't even think I needed to work it out.

I am finding energetics and enthalpy changes really hard and I don't know what do do. :confused:
I'm so stupid fml
The energy change is given by mass (being heated) x specific heat capacity x temperature change.

The specific heat capacity is 4.18 kJ kg-1 K-1 (it is assumed to be the same as water)

If you require the energy per mole of water produced you must divide the answer to the above equation by the number of moles of water produced in the reaction.

Here's an interactive on enthalpy change to help you get the hang of it...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.74%
No - but I will (64)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (392)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed