The left has become the latest soapbox for puritans to stand on Watch

KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The left has become full of puritans and moral conservatives who use the left as their moral ground because it happens to be popularly be perceived as the highest one around at the moment (at least in the UK and much of Western Europe). These people are not interested in what may actually be good ideas to change things for the better, nor are they really interested in what liberalism means, despite considering themselves its adherents.

They are only concerned with following whatever is currently considered to be right-on[1], and only ever differ very slightly in their views. They do this because they have a quite neurotic and vain obsession with trying to view themselves as being as righteous as possible. They want to make sure everyone sees them as being some kind of purveyor of good morality.

I believe these are exactly the same type of people who would have been actual Church of England Puritans in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Discuss.

[1] To make matters worse, much of what is right-on only exists to be contrary to a right-wing view. The left, rather than being a political spectrum, is for many people little more than a label to distinguish themselves from the right. The same could of course be said about the right.
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Except none of that is actually true - not about the present Left, which is about as monolithic as a herd of cats, or about early modern Puritans, who were considerably more diverse and tolerant than you seem to think they were.
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingBradly)
The left has become full of puritans and moral conservatives who use the left as their moral ground because it happens to be popularly be perceived as the highest one around at the moment (at least in the UK and much of Western Europe). These people are not interested in what may actually be good ideas to change things for the better, nor are they really interested in what liberalism means, despite considering themselves its adherents.

They are only concerned with following whatever is currently considered to be right-on[1], and only ever differ very slightly in their views. They do this because they have a quite neurotic and vain obsession with trying to view themselves as being as righteous as possible. They want to make sure everyone sees them as being some kind of purveyor of good morality.

I believe these are exactly the same type of people who would have been actual Church of England Puritans in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Discuss.

[1] To make matters worse, much of what is right-on only exists to be contrary to a right-wing view. The left, rather than being a political spectrum, is for many people little more than a label to distinguish themselves from the right. The same could of course be said about the right.
Lots of forums posters try and tar me as a puritan but it never sticks because I have no facebook, youtube or other social media channels where people can glorify me. Instead I like to be anonymous and encourage people to follow social ideas.
KingBradly
Rep:
?
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
Lots of forums posters try and tar me as a puritan but it never sticks because I have no facebook, youtube or other social media channels where people can glorify me. Instead I like to be anonymous and encourage people to follow social ideas.
Hmm, that makes no sense.
KingBradly
Rep:
?
(Original post by gladders)
Except none of that is actually true - not about the present Left, which is about as monolithic as a herd of cats, or about early modern Puritans, who were considerably more diverse and tolerant than you seem to think they were.
Who cares about actual Puritans? This isn't about them. I'm using 'puritan' in the sense it is used commonly today. And even so, however diverse Puritans might have been, they still had far more puritanical views than most people in this country do today.

I didn't say that people on the left don't have varying and contrasting opinions. Of course there are people with widely ranging opinions on the left, many of which I greatly admire, but this isn't about them and the fact you try and twist my words to make it seem like I am talking about the entirety of the left is frankly very feeble, unless of course you simply failed to understand my plain English. I'm very clearly just stating that the left has become the preferred platform for puritans. I am not however saying that all lefties are puritans, or I would thus be calling myself a puritan. And if you think that right-on (look up the word right-on. No, it doesn't simply mean 'left-wing') media (The Independent, for example) doesn't revolve around trends rather than reason then you're so far into the bull**** that you can no longer see the light of day. And if you can't see the cognitive dissonance that is so apparent among many lefties beliefs then you must be pretty undiscerning.

You clearly think you're far more learned than myself and its just frankly embarrassing because you're patently too uneducated on the subject to even know your level of understanding of the matter. I get the feeling you haven't even heard the term 'puritan' being used in this sense, hence why you seem to think that what actual Puritans were like is relevant.
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whatever, KingBradly, feel free to make up nonsense about me, it won't stick!

And I still disagree. I can't see how you can claim the Left has a monopoly on moral puritanism - they are the ones advocating people get to marry or have sex with whoever they like, after all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.06%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (578)
47.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed