When will Brendan Rodgers be sacked? Watch

sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A poor performance today from Liverpool, they've been poor all season aside from one game. Their success last season was mostly down to Suarez as well as the vast changes & upheaval at all of the sides around them. Rodgers didn't have much to do with it.

Rodgers is being found out this season, he doesn't know how to get the best out of his players. His man management of Sterling has been poor, and he has looked a shadow of the player who was tearing up the league last season. The arguments with Hodgson give the impression of a manager who is cracking under pressure.

His tactics and formations are baffling, when his side was struggling today his only answer was to take off the Welsh Xavi and replace him with a player he's tried to sell for 2 years. He persists with the likes of Balotelli & Johnson whilst benching superior players, and I haven't even started on how **** their defence is yet.

Despite spending £120m this summer it's hard to identify a good signing, he seems unable to persuade quality players to come and play for him. Valdes should have been wrapped up months ago, instead it looks like he'd rather sit on the Man United bench.

Last year, Rodgers said that a side who spent £100m should be challenging for the title. Liverpool look a million miles away from that the moment. Sturridge coming back won't fix all their problems. I think the problem is to do with the manager.

I think he'll be sacked before the end of the season. The American owners sacked a club legend following a season where he reached 2 cup finals, they will not hesitate to pull the trigger.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not convinced he should be fired yet but questions are going to be asked pretty soon. They have Chelsea next week, they might not be far off the drop zone by then. I think he could be saved by the lack of replacements, he'll be there end of the season regardless and I don't think things will be looking as bad then.

Think the mark of any managers ability is team building. Can you construct and then restructure teams. That is Rodgers challenge I think.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If they finish 7th or lower, don't win a cup and performances don't pick up, then I can see him being fired at the end of the season. So in short, he won't be fired. Not in the near future at least. They'll give him a proper chance.
zKlown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't think he'll be fired

But he has got a little bit ahead of himself.

He had one good season and all of a sudden he thinks he's a bigboy manager.

Trying to play the mind games, coming out with ridiculous statements (like United won't attract world class player this season) and constantly contradicting himself. His tactics have been poor this season and it's like he has no plan B.

It's like you mentioned, his team are labouring and he brings on Fabio Borini? I mean, what?

He's a good manager, but I just think he needs to concentrate a bit and stop doing silly things.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If he is outside the top4, then one of the biggest questions surely will be whether the owners trust him with their money..

After spending so much, and failing, will they trust him to spend again next summer?
Adam171014
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brendan Rogers' ego inflated last season because of Suarez's masterclass and still has not come down.
The fool needs to let go of the "beautiful game" philosophy and grind out wins or face the axe.
Azzer11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brendan is a young manager with not much experience at the top. So I agree it is difficult to be managed by someone who has never been there in the Champions League so it will take time. I think the most worrying is the transfer dealing that he has done, big money spent on average players and Balotelli isn't even the worst. I do however think that Rodgers will be one of the best but he still has a lot to learn. Speculation on his job at the moment is stupid, lose a few in a row then it could all change. Realistically though, who would we have a better bet with to replace Rodgers? No one springs to mind, it would be an awful decision to let him go.
zKlown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Azzer11)
Brendan is a young manager with not much experience at the top. So I agree it is difficult to be managed by someone who has never been there in the Champions League so it will take time. I think the most worrying is the transfer dealing that he has done, big money spent on average players and Balotelli isn't even the worst. I do however think that Rodgers will be one of the best but he still has a lot to learn. Speculation on his job at the moment is stupid, lose a few in a row then it could all change. Realistically though, who would we have a better bet with to replace Rodgers? No one springs to mind, it would be an awful decision to let him go.
I don't think he'll be one of the best.

He's a good manager, it ends there.

I may be proven wrong though of course!
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think he'll be there at the end of the season. A domestic cup win and a decent league finish (5th) would probably get him another year. He's made some questionable decisions in the market yet seems very keen to heap pressure on other sides and their spending (the Tottenham quote SR90 mentioned and the Man United one I've read).

I think he got abit carried away with their improvement last season and the humble, likeable image he created of himself at Swansea has dissipated into one who, despite their exterior, can't help himself making comments that seem abit sneaky with little jabs here and there.

Rene Meulensteen, former MUFC coach, said he should have invested in his back-room team which tbh, he could have done with an addition of someone with CL experience. He's still a young manager in his 40s so could do with some support of an experienced hand.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think he'll be sacked this season but my god, he has to be the least tactically astute manager of a big team in Europe. Today was an absolute horror show, a complete failure in trying to be tactically flexible but failing.

The money wasted has been catastrophic as well. Markovic looks very very average and weak on the ball, Balotelli probably the most overrated striker of the past 10 years and Mignolet is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I think the real failure was the abject failure in luring Alexis Sanchez, things would have been so different. Instead they got the ploar opposite of both Sanchez and Suarez in Balotelli; Laziness, a poor footballing attitude, all hype and no end product. I have to admit, the failure of Lovren at the moment isn't his fault, he was the best defender in the league last year. Maybe it's just the pressure of being in the spotlight of fans who are far less forgiving and far more expectant.
Azzer11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
I don't think he'll be one of the best.

He's a good manager, it ends there.

I may be proven wrong though of course!
He is really young for a manager and I think he could turn out to be a quality manager as he can only get better in my opinion. Only time will tell
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd be shocked if he wasn't at the club come the end of May tbh.
Gob Bluth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
If they finish 7th or lower, don't win a cup and performances don't pick up, then I can see him being fired at the end of the season. So in short, he won't be fired. Not in the near future at least. They'll give him a proper chance.
This.

His performance last season means, unless he flops massively this season as it goes on, should be given the chance.

I mean, what do you get with sacking him? You go back to square one unless you know you can bring someone very high quality in. And let's face it the likes of Pep, Klopp aren't coming.

Sacking a manager and installing a new one generally would put a club back a year, so you have to be very sure in this case Brendan really has no clue going forward (no pun intended). Look at Spurs, constant managerial sackings mess that club up.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He's been shocked by the demands of the CL imho. He's still the right man for the job, but he needs to bolster his backroom staff as much as the playing squad. It's a shame, because last year was such an anomaly, but the stars aligned for us. Suarez's goals, Sturridge's form, other teams competing on more fronts than us.

The CL is a relentless competition and it means less time on the training pitch. The new signings are questionable, and I DO have severe doubts regarding Rodgers' transfer policy (only three of his signings since he came to LFC have been successful), but his approach to the club, the playing style and man management leads me to believe he should be given time and backing.
angelfox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So glad Baron Brenda and Fraudpool have been found out. Let's be honest, had Chelsea got a striker, we'd not bottled, or Utd had played properly then they would not even be in the top four.

Their high press game worked well last season - why? They had the best player in the league, only played one game a week. Everyone knew about the defensive issues - they somehow look worse this season. They've lost their main striker and the other one's injured.

Had Liverpool won the League last year, they'd have been the biggest fraud's ever.
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by angelfox)
So glad Baron Brenda and Fraudpool have been found out. Let's be honest, had Chelsea got a striker, we'd not bottled, or Utd had played properly then they would not even be in the top four.

Their high press game worked well last season - why? They had the best player in the league, only played one game a week. Everyone knew about the defensive issues - they somehow look worse this season. They've lost their main striker and the other one's injured.

Had Liverpool won the League last year, they'd have been the biggest fraud's ever.
Liverpool haven't been playing that high press game at all this season....
angelfox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
Liverpool haven't been playing that high press game at all this season....
Because they can't now. That was the reason why they did so well last season, because it suited workhorses like Horrenderson and Coutinho.
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because they can't now. That was the reason why they did so well last season, because it suited workhorses like Horrenderson and Coutinho.
So a manager plays a system that suits the players, I don't see how that fraudelent at all, isn't that what he's supposed to do? Was Ferguson a fraud for doing the same with United?
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The sooner the better. He has all the arrogance of Mourinho and none of the squad or managerial ability.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wait - why can't they now? Henderson and Coutinho are still there. They have only lost one striker that they didn't have at the start of last season, hardly a complete shift.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (476)
38.17%
No - but I will (95)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.23%

Watched Threads