mehanics 1 Watch

svirdi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
a block of mass 4kg rests on a table. It is connected by a light inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at the edge of the table to 5kg particle hanging freely. There is a friction force of 20N acting on the block. Find the acceleration of the system and tension in the sting.

Ok so I started with eq:

T1-Mg =ma
T1-49=5a

R-Mg=0

Fr-T2=ma
20-T2=4a

so sub 1 into 3

20-4a-49=5a

a=3.2ms-1

I just don't understand how you know which way the acceleration is positive or negative from questions??? and in which equation this affects?? and how do you know it's that equation

Please can someone explain this to me?
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by svirdi)
a block of mass 4kg rests on a table. It is connected by a light inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at the edge of the table to 5kg particle hanging freely. There is a friction force of 20N acting on the block. Find the acceleration of the system and tension in the sting.

Ok so I started with eq:

T1-Mg =ma
T1-49=5a

R-Mg=0

Fr-T2=ma
20-T2=4a

so sub 1 into 3

20-4a-49=5a

a=3.2ms-1

I just don't understand how you know which way the acceleration is positive or negative from questions??? and in which equation this affects?? and how do you know it's that equation

Please can someone explain this to me?
Surely it is obvious that the acceleration must be in the direction in which the string is pulling so your third equation should be T-20=4a.
Note that you do not need two different tensions, the tension will be constant throughout the length of the string.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads