Possible (Mature) OU Student SAAS funding question. Watch

Kimmyc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and board and I am looking for some help and advice.

I would like to study with the OU and have a few questions regarding funding as I'm a bit confused by the SAAS website.

I was hoping to study for the Professional Certificate in Accounting and use these points towards a degree but I think it may be more beneficial for me to begin with level 1 modules first to ease myself back into study.

A few of the courses I am looking at apart from the above are statistics, bookkeeping, and discovering maths to help me at work. I would also like to take some modules which I enjoy studying which are more geared towards the Arts and Humanities.

My questions are:
When applying to SAAS do they recognise the Open degree as a valid qualification?
Living in Scotland and earning less than £25,000 per year, what is the maximum I can claim for course fees of up to 119 credits per year?
Is it only my personal income that is taken into account or household income?
If I elect to study more than 119 per year would I then be classified as a full time student and have no funding help (assuming I am entitled)?

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering.
I've found this site and the OU board to be an excellent source in helping me decide that further education is actually an option for me and that it's never too late to embark on a degree.
Belmthemus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To answer your questions:

SAAS most likely will recognise the open degree but you'd need to ask them.
With the OU the maximum is 120 credits a year which is usually the maximum that the OU will allow you to study in a year SAAS will pay up to £1,820.
It's only your income that applies not household.
It's extremely unlikely that the OU will allow you to study more than 120 credits but I'd assume anything above the 120 credits would have to be paid for out of your own pocket.

I know this much I have just started 3 level 1 courses as the first year of a Bsc Natural Sciences (hons) degree and SAAS have paid for all 120 credits. Take your time and if you can talk to the OU at one of the open days or call them up, they are really helpful in every way.

Good luck
Kimmyc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you so much for your response Belmthemus.
I contacted SAAS and also the OU as you suggested for some further information.

Wishing you the best of luck with your degree.

Kim
BestProfileName
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Belmthemus)
To answer your questions:

SAAS most likely will recognise the open degree but you'd need to ask them.
With the OU the maximum is 120 credits a year which is usually the maximum that the OU will allow you to study in a year SAAS will pay up to £1,820.
It's only your income that applies not household.
It's extremely unlikely that the OU will allow you to study more than 120 credits but I'd assume anything above the 120 credits would have to be paid for out of your own pocket.

I know this much I have just started 3 level 1 courses as the first year of a Bsc Natural Sciences (hons) degree and SAAS have paid for all 120 credits. Take your time and if you can talk to the OU at one of the open days or call them up, they are really helpful in every way.

Good luck
If you live in Scotland, and already have a degree, are you eligible for such funding?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (509)
37.76%
No - but I will (103)
7.64%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.77%

Watched Threads