m1 Watch

svirdi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Block of mass 4kg rests on a smooth plane inclined at 20 deg to horizontal. It is connected by a light, inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at the top of the slop at a 3kg particle hanging freely. Find the acceleration of the system and the tension in the string.

Ok so I started with:

F=ma

a=f(total)
M(total)

3*9.8 + 4*9.8sin20 = a
3+4

am I on the right track of how to get the acceleration?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by svirdi)
Block of mass 4kg rests on a smooth plane inclined at 20 deg to horizontal. It is connected by a light, inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at the top of the slop at a 3kg particle hanging freely. Find the acceleration of the system and the tension in the string.

Ok so I started with:

F=ma

a=f(total)
M(total)

3*9.8 + 4*9.8sin20 = a
3+4

am I on the right track of how to get the acceleration?
Where's the tension gone from your equations?

You basically want
motion of block: weight acting down the slope against tension pulling up, giving mass x acceleration for the block

and motion of particle: weight downwards acting against tension upwards, resultant gives mass x acceleration.for particle.

Since everything is smooth and the string is inextensible the tensions and accelerations are the same in each case.
svirdi
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Where's the tension gone from your equations?

You basically want
motion of block: weight acting down the slope against tension pulling up, giving mass x acceleration for the block

and motion of particle: weight downwards acting against tension upwards, resultant gives mass x acceleration.for particle.

Since everything is smooth and the string is inextensible the tensions and accelerations are the same in each case.
ahh

so you mean

T-Mg sin20=ma

T-Mg= -ma
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by svirdi)
ahh

so you mean

T-Mg sin20=ma

T-Mg= -ma
I'm not sure why you're mixing up M's and m's here.

The mass in the first equation should be the mass of the block on both sides; the mass in the 2nd equation should be the mass of the particle on both sides. Also it's simpler to write the 2nd one as mg - T = ma since the net movement is downwards, although it doesn't affect the arithmetic.
svirdi
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
I'm not sure why you're mixing up M's and m's here.

The mass in the first equation should be the mass of the block on both sides; the mass in the 2nd equation should be the mass of the particle on both sides. Also it's simpler to write the 2nd one as mg - T = ma since the net movement is downwards, although it doesn't affect the arithmetic.
Ok thanx got it right
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads