The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom78
I think it says a lot that you focus on the material value of presents rather than emotional worth. Also... you're asking a bunch of teenagers to advise you about the marriage problems of 20 or 30 somethings.. might want to take a rain check

Going on holiday spending time together is not material, a pair of headphones is material
Firstly, I am not that rich, I'm a student, my parents don't give me money... I save maybe £50 a month in advance when I know his birthday is coming up... and they weren't even that expensive, I got good deals like £100-£150 per person. What I meat is, if I can go to a lot of effort to lan his present, I feel like he'd do the same if he cared.

I don't really know why I'm writing here. I know what he's like, it's just a way to vent.
Original post by doodle_333
if he got me something so small I would have just not spent so much the next year? some couples spend a lot on presents, some don't think it's a big deal... you need to have a conversation so you're on the same page

I agree with this. When I'm in a relationship and a birthday or Christmas is coming up, I talk to them about roughly how much we plan on spending on each other. He doesn't sound like he's that big on giving gifts, which you should have realised when he gave you the gloves. But instead you booked another holiday for a present for him the following year, and then got upset when he again gave you something small.

And, to be honest, I think him buying you earphones was his way of being thoughtful, since you'd told him you needed them. It's not brilliant, but some people just aren't good at gift giving. I think you should talk to him about what gifts mean to each of you- remember that neither of you has a right belief or wrong belief about what presents from a partner should be like. You might both need to compromise.
*meant
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly, I am not that rich, I'm a student, my parents don't give me money... I save maybe £50 a month in advance when I know his birthday is coming up... and they weren't even that expensive, I got good deals like £100-£150 per person. What I meat is, if I can go to a lot of effort to lan his present, I feel like he'd do the same if he cared.

I don't really know why I'm writing here. I know what he's like, it's just a way to vent.

Have you tried talking to him about this? :smile: Can totally see why you've posted ofc, but I wouldn't just vent. Try to get him to change his ways, but if he doesn't it's up to you if you want to stay or not
Feeling pretty depressed about this tbh.

Last year, I surprised my bf, and took him abroad on holiday for his birthday. He bought me a pair of gloves (albet they were from Reiss).

This year, I took him to Belgium, he got me a pair of earphones.

Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty upset. It isn't about how much they cost, at all... I just thought he'd put more thought into it. He's 36, I'm 25. His birthday was in Sept and mine was yesterday.Meaning that his birthday was before mine and he put no effort into mine.

Last year I sort of made a little comment about how gloves were a bit ****, and my gran could've got me them... but he got upset, so this year I pretended I really appreciated the earphones.

I've started my MSc this year and so I planned for months beforehand as I knew I'd be a student again and so I'd have to budget well to take him away.

Thinking of breaking up. We've been together 4 years. But I don't know how to. First relationship, so would appreciate some advice.

I think girls always do a little extra (I'm a girl, I can say that). But you've done a lot by taking him away. I don't think he's made a big effort with your present to be honest, unless you said you needed them?

I wouldn't end it over this but if there were other things too, then I would.
Seems a bit of a trivial reason to break up with someone. Do you know how much time he spent researching what earphones would be best? I'd say it was a thoughtful gift as he knew you wanted some and it's something you'll actually use. I personally don't like gifts which have no use to me (like paperweights and ornaments which my grandmother used to get me from her holidays).

And as someone else said, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if a partner bought me a holiday as a present. Sure I'd like to go travelling with them, but I'd want to pay my share or else I'd feel obliged to pay for one in return at similar or greater cost. I don't have much money so paying for a holiday for two people isn't something I can do lightly.
Well if you're happy in your relationship in every other way then it's a big stupid to break up over a birthday present. But if there's other underlying problems and the present is the final straw then that's different.
Original post by BreakingBadx
Have you tried talking to him about this? :smile: Can totally see why you've posted ofc, but I wouldn't just vent. Try to get him to change his ways, but if he doesn't it's up to you if you want to stay or not

I don't think this is something that he will change. If OP talks to him he will probably take offence and cause an argument, even if he is cheap.
Original post by EloiseStar
I don't think this is something that he will change. If OP talks to him he will probably take offence and cause an argument, even if he is cheap.

Well, she can at least try. Might tell her why he did that too.
No he didn't go to any lengths to research it... we were messaging earlier in the day that I needed some, while he was at work and I was at uni. I met him after work and he gave them to me on the tube home. On my birthday I paid for our dinner... which is fine also, as I'm used to it. I think there are plenty of other reasons, like I said this was the last straw. Just don't know when/how to do it. I'm fed up of always being thoughtful and finding stuff to do. And now that I'm doing my masters, it's taking up a ****load of my time and he doesn't deserve being prioritised over it. I feel like I'm getting angrier and angrier about it... bleh
No he didn't go to any lengths to research it... we were messaging earlier in the day that I needed some, while he was at work and I was at uni. I met him after work and he gave them to me on the tube home. On my birthday I paid for our dinner... which is fine also, as I'm used to it. I think there are plenty of other reasons, like I said this was the last straw. Just don't know when/how to do it. I'm fed up of always being thoughtful and finding stuff to do. And now that I'm doing my masters, it's taking up a ****load of my time and he doesn't deserve being prioritised over it. I feel like I'm getting angrier and angrier about it... bleh

Honestly, it already sounds like you know what you want to do. It seems like, generally, you put a lot more effort into the relationship than he does...

There's a book called "He's Just Not That into You," read it if you have the time (or PM me for the link)
Did you ever hint as to what you'd like for your birthday? Some of us (including me) are ubbish at things like this.
Honestly, it already sounds like you know what you want to do. It seems like, generally, you put a lot more effort into the relationship than he does...

There's a book called "He's Just Not That into You," read it if you have the time (or PM me for the link)

yeah I've read it and seen the film... you know what I'm really scared about? Breaking up at the right time. Like when do I do it? He goes on holiday at the end of this week. When he's back we're going to a gig. Do I do it now? Wait till after the gig? (It's something he's been looking forward to for ages, like it's one of his favourite people.)
yeah I've read it and seen the film... you know what I'm really scared about? Breaking up at the right time. Like when do I do it? He goes on holiday at the end of this week. When he's back we're going to a gig. Do I do it now? Wait till after the gig? (It's something he's been looking forward to for ages, like it's one of his favourite people.)

Oh, yikes, that does sound awkward yep :s-smilie:

Who paid for the gig tickets? Do you have them yet? If you do you could either wait till it's over and then break up (least favourable option IMO) or you could do it now and then sell them or something. If you don't have them yet it's easier I guess.
Oh, yikes, that does sound awkward yep :s-smilie:

Who paid for the gig tickets? Do you have them yet? If you do you could either wait till it's over and then break up (least favourable option IMO) or you could do it now and then sell them or something. If you don't have them yet it's easier I guess.

It's a jazz club so your name goes on the guest list rather than having physical tickets. We went halves, they were £50 each. And we've sort of done it together with his friend and his friend's girlfriend....
It's a jazz club so your name goes on the guest list rather than having physical tickets. We went halves, they were £50 each. And we've sort of done it together with his friend and his friend's girlfriend....

Oh, I see. It sounds like a fun night TBF :tongue:

If you wanted to go anyway, I'd go to that, then, and then break up with him afterwards? (Not immediately afterwards, obviously, but a few days from then or something). I think that should be OK timing.
With my ex I'd always be the gift giver I'd shower him with gifts and sometimes I'd get upset and feel worthless to never get anything back he didn't have a job at the time but he still got money now and then and I just felt like even a bottle of water would be nice. For me it's never about the gift and maybe he never brought me anything because I always did so much and he felt he couldn't match it. Your boyfriend might if got headphones because he knew you wanted them and thought 'how the f can I top a vacation' my ex always put in effort when it came to birthday and Christmas that's what matters so I'd be annoyed if all he did was get me just one thoughtless gift and be done with it. The rest of the year doesn't matter but birthday and Christmas are special times your boyfriend might have something big planned don't give up on him
To be honest, it's your own fault for being so stupid and spending that much money. Are you expecting a house in return or something?
He bought you something you NEED - much more useful and practical than some nice weather for a week or two.

This is why I ****ing hate buying gifts for people.
If I was your boyfriend I'd want you to dump me.

I come from a privileged family and my most expensive birthday present was £100. Its the thought what counts, get a grip.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending