The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nah break up with him. If he can't even give you a proper gift then he doesn't even think that much of you.
I don't know why everyone is defending the guy here ...

Your gifts are great & thoughtful, it shows you care about him and you both make great memories from the trip together. Especially as a couple who have been together for years, a holiday is a perfect gift. His gifts show that he clearly does not care about you at all. It's pretty telling. He hasn't done this once, but twice. No shame at all! Also, he is older than you so It's not like he is broke (assuming he has a job). As a student yourself you've managed to save and do it because you clearly wanted him to feel special and enjoy his day. Gloves? Headphones? Woooow. Incredible. In an alternate law-less world, I would strangle him with said headphones and move the body with those birthday gloves.

Dump him. What an incredibly selfish man.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Feeling pretty depressed about this tbh.

Last year, I surprised my bf, and took him abroad on holiday for his birthday. He bought me a pair of gloves (albet they were from Reiss).

This year, I took him to Belgium, he got me a pair of earphones.

Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty upset. It isn't about how much they cost, at all... I just thought he'd put more thought into it. He's 36, I'm 25. His birthday was in Sept and mine was yesterday.Meaning that his birthday was before mine and he put no effort into mine.

Last year I sort of made a little comment about how gloves were a bit ****, and my gran could've got me them... but he got upset, so this year I pretended I really appreciated the earphones.

I've started my MSc this year and so I planned for months beforehand as I knew I'd be a student again and so I'd have to budget well to take him away.

Thinking of breaking up. We've been together 4 years. But I don't know how to. First relationship, so would appreciate some advice.

Why would you break up with someone just because they bought you a **** gift ?
Just tell him that you never really liked the gloves or headphones and that all his gifts are **** and he puts no effort in.
Then tell him what you do want for your birthday every year. Tell him a month before every birthday what you want. If he still gives **** gifts then don't make any more effort fir his birthdays, just buy him a small card and box of mens chocolates or a pair if sox from Poundland, lol. That will put a rocket up his ass. Some people are just not good at planning birthday or christmas presents.
I never know what to get my friend on his birthdays but this year in August I bought a big bucket of KFC takeaway to eat before we go out and I took him to a 4D cinema at Cineworld to see film The Meg and I bought drink and popcorn but he didn't want the corn.
It would have cost £18 each in cinema just for the tickets but he signed up with that Meerkat advert for Compare the market.com so if you buy any insurance you get 2 for 1 deals on cinema tickets for a year or restaurants, etc so he looked for the cheapest insurance and chose Travel Insurance for £1 So the tickets only cost £25.60 for 2 and now we can go to a cinema for a year that will only cost £3 each but only to see normal films on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only but 3D and 4D films will still cost a lot more but it will be cheaper than normal. He knew I don't have lots of money so he wanted to make sure I get cheaper tickets.
I would have taken him to a restaurant too or a buffet restaurant because it's cheaper but he didn't want to go there and put £100 in his birthday card so he can buy whatever he wants and I will do that every year except ill add on a few extras like a day at a spa & massage, etc.
I wish somebody would give me money as a birthday/Christmas present every year so I can buy whatever I want rather than getting crap presents and pretending I like them which is what I have to do every year with friends and family as I don't like to tell them their presents are rubbish but when your dating somebody you should tell them the truth so they stop doing it
I never ever look at the date I just reply because I saw it come up. Even i get told threads are old I always forget to look at the date of the next thread but it doesn't matter if it's old because I'm sure other people have exactly the same or similar experiences so they can still use the advise.
If threads are so old then tsr should get rid of them but they don't or maybe if the OP is still using tsr they can give people an update.
Another user thought I was deliberately bumping old threads but I honestly never bother to look at the dates first and I'm still not going to. I will reply regardless because I saw it pop up.
I did say once that I was going to diliberate bump old threads i had given adbice ob before for a laugh but I've never done that, I could not remember the titles but I'm still not going to look at dates first to see if threads are old because if they were not meant to be there then tsr would remove them.
@ANM775
Reply 84
I know just how you feel right now I'm mad as hell !!!! With my boyfriend today is my birthday 11/25 and you know what I got after staying up till 5:00 am on Thanksgiving!!! A card and a king size Reese's pieces cups.Then he goes outside and wash the car. So I spent my birthday alone outside on the back porch until 7 p.m. drinking wine by myself!!!!He comes back in the house and lay on the couch. So I'm now in the bedroom having more wine listen to music.Hope your guy woke up and smelled the coffee.
Reply 85
I know just how you feel right now I'm mad as hell !!!! With my boyfriend today is my birthday 11/25 and you know what I got after staying up till 5:00 am on Thanksgiving!!! A card and a king size Reese's pieces cups.Then he goes outside and wash the car. So I spent my birthday alone outside on the back porch until 7 p.m. drinking wine by myself!!!!He comes back in the house and lay on the couch. So I'm now in the bedroom having more wine listen to music.Hope your guy woke up and smelled the coffee.
LOL!
people who bring up old threads need to be banned

Latest

Trending

Trending