Muslim guy going to uni- any advice? Watch

hukdealz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
evening all,

I was looking for some advice. I've applied to uni for 2015 entry to medicine. So many times, I've read about people turning into 'part time' muslims once they begin uni (i.e. non-muslim at uni, muslim at home). I don't want to be this type of person- my religion means a lot to me, but my conscious wants me to explore and experience. There's also the issue of making friends. I'm not exactly outgoing so I'm worried that I won't make any friends if I don't do all the stuff the people around me will be doing.

Any advice as to how I can stay on the correct path during my time at uni? Is anybody willing to share their experiences at uni?
tatt0barbie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello.
There will be a Muslim Society at your university so you can join it and be around other people who have the same questions and worries. There will be an Imam (Please excuse my spelling or mispronunciation) to be on hand to offer more specific guidance. Your religion will give you great peace during busy study periods and the community will offer you support. You will recieve as much as you give. Good luck with university and please don't feel like you have to conform to the university life or the lifestyle.
lilacunicorn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
DON'T DO ANYTHING HARAAM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lost Cloud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Join the ISOC.

You will find other people in the same shoes as you and everyone is usually very friendly and welcoming.

Good luck!
Afghan Warrior
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you don't want to be led astray and are going to live away from home, then choose to live with other Muslims. Being around other Muslims will help you stay on the right path. I'm not at uni so can't give you any advice from personal experience, but that's what I intend to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graceful_Lawyer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hukdealz)
evening all,

I was looking for some advice. I've applied to uni for 2015 entry to medicine. So many times, I've read about people turning into 'part time' muslims once they begin uni (i.e. non-muslim at uni, muslim at home). I don't want to be this type of person- my religion means a lot to me, but my conscious wants me to explore and experience. There's also the issue of making friends. I'm not exactly outgoing so I'm worried that I won't make any friends if I don't do all the stuff the people around me will be doing.

Any advice as to how I can stay on the correct path during my time at uni? Is anybody willing to share their experiences at uni?
There isn't anything to worry about. If anything, just believe in yourself and trust yourself. If you're a nice person, nice people will be interested in talking to you and won't leave you because you don't join in non Islamic activities. They will understand that you're a religious person. Believe me, I'm the kind of person who would never compromise with her religion and I've still made so many nice friends. Plus, don't always assume that only Muslims will make good friends because I have non Muslim friends who are so nice and I don't have to worry for thinking I might put aside my religion. No way! Nothing like that. You can join in many societies, one of which I would recommend Muslim society and find many friends.

All in all, just don't worry. Trust yourself and go into uni with confidence and positive attitude, pray in uni when you can and just be happy and live your life! Nothing can shake you if you trust Allah and have enough confidence!
hukdealz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by lilacunicorn)
DON'T DO ANYTHING HARAAM

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't worry, I intend to keep it 100% halal
TheNoobishKnight
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have a shower everday.
Eat food.
Go to sleep
Have fun
Enjoy yourself
Go to the toilet
Talk to people(don't be isolated)
join some Socs
Work hard
Don't eat junk food
Don't waste money

Pray 5 times a day.
Don't smoke.
Don't kill people.
Don't eat ham.
janninev866
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hukdealz)
evening all,

Hi,

Please try not to worry too much. You seem very dedicated to your religion, so I don't reckon you will practice it 'part time' or anything.

I would recommend that you join societies and groups that your Uni has. Have a look on their student union website. Join ones you're interested in that are for all religions/ non-religions so that you can meet a mix of different people. But there may also be a group for Muslims. If not, you can make your own. The union will tell you how to do this. Just approach them or email them for details.

I'm guessing that you're bound to have other Muslims in your class. I did . But then, I live in Birmingham & it's multicultural, which is great.

Honestly, us Christians aint that bad . But I understand you being concerned about Uni & possibly losing your way. You'll be fine. Also, just keep your usual support network too, such as your usual family & friends. Enjoy Uni!
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There will be plenty of muslims in your course seriously in my final year I was the one of only 2 only non muslim and the only non religious guy on my course.
quirkybun
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

My advice would be don't worry there are many people like you and you'll find a place to fit in. Its a place where people are open minded. I'd like you to stop worrying and focus on getting your place I've got a blog which may ease some of your worries
كفر
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as you have taqwa then nothing will go wrong. Stay around with those who are are al-mutaqeen (brothers in the i-soc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (428)
37.54%
No - but I will (87)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (77)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (548)
48.07%

Watched Threads