Should I do the extended project? Watch

kid_kangaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is it really nescessary & actually give me an edge in university applications? I have to decide now if I want to the extended project at college & tbh, having chosen Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Ancient History I don't think I could... Especially since I'm also planning on taking up lots of clubs!

The problem is that I'm trying to get into elite universities such as Caimbridge... Do you think it really matters? Espically if they know it's offered at your school?
Helloworld_95
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's something to talk about but it's only really useful if you have an original idea that you know enough about at the start that you'll rarely have to stop and think where to go next. In that case you can knock it out during the holidays and probably be able to talk about it in enough depth to impress most interviewers.
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kid_kangaroo)
The problem is that I'm trying to get into elite universities such as Caimbridge... Do you think it really matters? Espically if they know it's offered at your school?
Top universities won't care if you've done the EPQ. The benefit is so small that it's only worth doing if you want to do it.

Having said that, some universities (e.g. Southampton) are happy to give you a grade lower on your offer if you do well in the EPQ.
Kill3er
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cambridge: We welcome the Extended Project and would encourage applicants to undertake one as it will help to develop independent study and research skills valuable for higher education. However, completion of an Extended Project won't be a requirement of any offer made

You can see uni's responses here:
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/project/level3/Pages/university.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads