AS-Level Beginner Emotions Watch

cardboardoranges
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ugh.
I took Philosophy, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology for A levels and I'm in the first year, so, I'm doing AS levels.

I've found myself in a huge pile of stress and I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

Ok, First. I got 4 As, 4Bs and 2Cs for GCSEs. I did not work AT ALL during the course of secondry school and crammed last minute. I misbehaved an awful lot due to lack of motivation and I had a weird amount of energy. An awful idea, I know.

I'm not doing that this year - I'm revising already now, studying frequently.. But I just really feel so overwhelmed by it all!

I try to revise every day, but I find that I forget the information, or that I become overwhelmed by it, very quickly. My target grades assigned are all Cs (With the exception of Psychology being a B, which I think was just due to me never having done the subject before). To be honest I was disappointed with my Chemistry and Biology predictions as I got an A in both at GCSE. I know it's a huge step up, but my peers were mostly predicted Bs and As

Anyway, past that, the more specific things I wanted advice on were the following:

How likely is it that I will fail if I'm doing revision now, but if I'm not doing it correctly? (I doubt my methods and I seriously don't think I'm going to pass.)

What do I do if I don't get the grades for university? I know that's a huge question, but.. I honestly have no idea where I'd go. I'm VERY uneducated with things like these and I want a back up plan to ease my mind!!

Will my bad GCSE grades hold me back from doing something at uni? I was hoping to do philosophy or something but I honestly have no idea what I want to do yet..

What do you think it is that makes me so less likely to get a B or an A than everyone else in my class?

Any hobbies other than video games and reading that are good to do after school?

What are good ways to read outside of my subjects?

Thanks
NinjaNicky
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) Revision now is pointless if you are overdoing it and just making yourself stressed. Don't contemplate failure this early in the year, many people failed January mocks (or did badly, like I did) then came out with brilliant grades. At this stage of the year just try out loads of revision techniques and figure out what works for you. The mocks are a good way of testing what works and what doesn't, make it as enjoyable as possible.

2) I'm in year 13 and have no clue what I'll do if I don't make it into Uni, don't stress yourself with that now, it's pointless. Chances are you'll either go into clearing, take a gap year, or find a job.

3) Your GCSE grades are fine, most universities aren't that bothered about GCSEs as long as they are decent (which yours are) they will care most about AS results and predictions for A2 from your teachers. I've applied to Cambridge and my GCSE results are **** compared to most Oxbridge applicants, but every admissions tutor I've spoken to has said they don't matter as long as you haven't gone and got Cs and Ds with no Bs and As. Funnily enough I'm doing Philosophy at Uni :P

4) If your school is anything like mine, your target/predicted grades at the start of the year are computer generated and therefore, as a general rule, are absolute bull****. My predicted grade for French last year was a C, I got an A, the other girl in my class (there was only two of us) was predicted a B and got an E. Seriously, don't stress, you know what you're capable of, just go for it.

5) Hobbies are hobbies, whatever you enjoy, do it outside of school. Destress. For me, that's sport, I play for a netball club so train after school and play league matches at weekends, I go to football etc, that is the only way I can get rid of all the stress, but you might be totally different. Do what you enjoy.

6) For Philosophy, you can't beat a good book, but the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (online) is an awesome resource, biology is always in the news, especially with ebola atm, with sciences I'd say keep up to date on news and developments in the scientific world.

That was long winded, but hope it helps
cardboardoranges
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by NinjaNicky)
1) Revision now is pointless if you are overdoing it and just making yourself stressed. Don't contemplate failure this early in the year, many people failed January mocks (or did badly, like I did) then came out with brilliant grades. At this stage of the year just try out loads of revision techniques and figure out what works for you. The mocks are a good way of testing what works and what doesn't, make it as enjoyable as possible.

2) I'm in year 13 and have no clue what I'll do if I don't make it into Uni, don't stress yourself with that now, it's pointless. Chances are you'll either go into clearing, take a gap year, or find a job.

3) Your GCSE grades are fine, most universities aren't that bothered about GCSEs as long as they are decent (which yours are) they will care most about AS results and predictions for A2 from your teachers. I've applied to Cambridge and my GCSE results are **** compared to most Oxbridge applicants, but every admissions tutor I've spoken to has said they don't matter as long as you haven't gone and got Cs and Ds with no Bs and As. Funnily enough I'm doing Philosophy at Uni :P

4) If your school is anything like mine, your target/predicted grades at the start of the year are computer generated and therefore, as a general rule, are absolute bull****. My predicted grade for French last year was a C, I got an A, the other girl in my class (there was only two of us) was predicted a B and got an E. Seriously, don't stress, you know what you're capable of, just go for it.

5) Hobbies are hobbies, whatever you enjoy, do it outside of school. Destress. For me, that's sport, I play for a netball club so train after school and play league matches at weekends, I go to football etc, that is the only way I can get rid of all the stress, but you might be totally different. Do what you enjoy.

6) For Philosophy, you can't beat a good book, but the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (online) is an awesome resource, biology is always in the news, especially with ebola atm, with sciences I'd say keep up to date on news and developments in the scientific world.

That was long winded, but hope it helps
Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed