The Student Room Group

Boycott Bonfire Night. Remember, remember...Global Warming!!!

Think about our already stretched ozone layer we don't need anymore nasty emissions being absorbed into the stratosphere.

Just today I saw 3 pyres being erected in different locations around my city and that's just my neighborhood. I've already contacted the police to let them know that illegal bonfire pyres are being setup without the proper safety checks.

I urge you to boycott this satanic and meaningless event and care for your environment.

If you MUST take part on the fire worship on bonfire night you could instead just play a video of a fire pyre burning on your ipad and dance around it in your living room.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nick Parsons
Think about our already stretched ozone layer we don't need anymore nasty emissions being absorbed into the stratosphere.

Just today I saw 3 pyres being erected in different locations around my city and that's just my neighborhood. I've already contacted the police to let them know that illegal bonfire pyres are being setup without the proper safety checks.

I urge you to boycott this satanic and meaningless event and care for your environment.

If you MUST take part on the fire worship on bonfire night you could instead just play a video of a fire pyre burning on your ipad and dance around it in your living room.

Emissions from burning things have absolutely no effect on the ozone layer. And emissions aren't "absorbed" into the stratosphere. It's a layer of gas, it can't absorb things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Emissions from burning things have absolutely no effect on the ozone layer.

Hear, hear!!
Reply 3
Emissions from burning things have absolutely no effect on the ozone layer. And emissions aren't "absorbed" into the stratosphere. It's a layer of gas, it can't absorb things.

Your ignorance is embarrassing. So car emissions don't cause ozone depletion?

Next you'll be telling me that global warming isn't real.

Just go watch "The Day After Tomorrow".
Reply 4
unless they are burning fridges it is not having an effect on the ozone layer, it isn't satanic, and the effect on global warming from burning wood is negligible

Next you'll be telling me that global warming isn't real.

Just go watch "The Day After Tomorrow".

You're joking, I'm guessing.
Reply 6

No they really really don't. It is CFC's that do that.
Reply 7
Original post by lucaf
unless they are burning fridges it is not having an effect on the ozone layer, it isn't satanic, and the effect on global warming from burning wood is negligible

[h="1"]Wood Smoke and Global Warming:
An Inconvenient Truth
[/h]

From my Source
scientists have recently discovered that particles created by burning wood and other biomass—so called “black carbon”—are actually a major contributor to global warming. The Nobel Prize-winning International Global Panel on Climate Change has stated that black carbon is a significant cause of global warming. Scientists estimate that the black carbon produced by wood burning is the second most significant contributor to global warming.
Reply 8
You're joking, I'm guessing.

Are you trolling?

Ozone layer depletion:

From my source
The activities of many industries and the domestic burning of fossil fuels, such as wood also lead to the depletion of the ozone layer
Are you trolling?

Ozone layer depletion:

Also from that source: "since the ozone is very unstable, it combines with the chlorine gas that is eliminated by burning chloro florous carbons to form ClO"

Ignoring for a moment that your highly credible source can't even spell chlorofluorocarbons, there are no CFCs in wood.
Also from that source: "since the ozone is very unstable, it combines with the chlorine gas that is eliminated by burning chloro florous carbons to form ClO"

Ignoring for a moment that your highly credible source can't even spell chlorofluorocarbons, there are no CFCs in wood.

Ok So a spelling mistake discounts sound scientific opinion? I guess Einstein being Autistic meant he was a complete buffoon right?

Burning wood makes bad gases which react with the ozone. This is common sense.
Reply 11
Ok So a spelling mistake discounts sound scientific opinion? I guess Einstein being Autistic meant he was a complete buffoon right?

Einstein (blessed be his name) was not autistic.
"bad gasses" good knowledge. Only CFC's react with Ozone this has been proved. Also don't talk about that which you lack.
Reply 12

Bad gases? Much chemistry, so science :rolleyes:

The Ozone is depleted by CFC's. Burning wood does not create CFC's.

I'm 99% sure you're taking the piss, but I'd still love to know how you think Bonfire Night is satanic and meaningless.
Original post by lucaf
Bad gases? Much chemistry, so science :rolleyes:

The Ozone is depleted by CFC's. Burning wood does not create CFC's.

So you support people burning wood then?

And lots of it?

And for what?

Something that happened in the 16th century?

Really?

Original post by Aph
Einstein (blessed be his name) was not autistic.
"bad gasses" good knowledge. Only CFC's react with Ozone this has been proved. Also don't talk about that which you lack.

What do I lack?

Two separate sites confirm that burning wood leads to ozone depletion I know who I'm going to believe. Certainly not a schmuck know-it-all
Reply 15

What do I lack?

Two separate sites confirm that burning wood leads to ozone depletion I know who I'm going to believe. Certainly not a schmuck know-it-all

Common sence.

wow two sites:rolleyes: that means nothing. There Are over 500 million websites so you are going to believe just 2 of them... Until they provide repeatable scientific evidence...
also I know you are trolling if not because of this then your comment on faland's profile...

One would expect a scientifically valid source to be precise enough to know how to spell a fairly common word correctly. And apart from that, the source you sent me (a Lawyer's website!) is by no stretch of the imagination a technical source!

It's not common sense, it's wrong. I say that as an environmentalist.
Original post by Aph
Common sence.

wow two sites:rolleyes: that means nothing. There Are over 500 million websites so you are going to believe just 2 of them... Until they provide repeatable scientific evidence...
also I know you are trolling if not because of this then your comment on faland's profile...

It appears that it's you that lacks some "sence"...

I don't need to provide anything I'm merely posting to warn people to save out already stressed ozone layer from crumbling further no doubt you've all heard of the big hole right?

As for faland I just think that someone who wants to be taken seriously as a politician even when it's online shouldn't be using a drag queen as his avatar.

Appearances are everything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
It appears that it's you that lacks some "sence"...

I don't need to provide anything I'm merely posting to warn people to save out already stressed ozone layer from crumbling further no doubt you've all heard of the big hole right?

You are warning against doing something without prof for said warning that's stupid! Of course I know what it is!
Reply 19
So you support people burning wood then?

And lots of it?

And for what?

Something that happened in the 16th century?

Really?

What do I lack?

Why not? Absolutely no effect on the Ozone, and considering we actually grow trees to make that wood the greenhouse emissions balance out. It is not done on a big enough effect to have any effect

And your two separate sites seem unable to remotely explain the chemistry behind it. Once again, burning wood does not create CFC's and so does not effect the ozone layer. Try fining an actual reputable source that can actually use correct science that says it causes ozone depletion.

Quick Reply

Latest