University (castle) college, Durham Watch

gloria97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What's university college like? I know its really popular and stuff, but I want to know why. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that its the more posh and formal college compared to the others. I'm particularly looking for somewhere that is lively and social, a place where I could have fun. Is University college like this? Would I truly experience the 'student life' there? Or am I better off applying to somewhere like Collingwood?
Rooster523
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Castle is perceived as more posh and formal because A) some of its accommodation is in the castle itself, B) it has very strict rules regarding formals and the like and C) seems to have an air of elitism surrounding it (not sure why it does, it just does)

The beauty of Durham is that there's an abundance of colleges, each with their own 'feel' to them.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/...choosing/quiz/

Here's a wee quiz to open up your options
gloria97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Rooster523)
Castle is perceived as more posh and formal because A) some of its accommodation is in the castle itself, B) it has very strict rules regarding formals and the like and C) seems to have an air of elitism surrounding it (not sure why it does, it just does)

The beauty of Durham is that there's an abundance of colleges, each with their own 'feel' to them.
Thanks for this. I know there are quite few stereotypes surrounding colleges like castle. What 'feel' would you personally say Castle has?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rooster523
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gloria97)
Thanks for this. I know there are quite few stereotypes surrounding colleges like castle. What 'feel' would you personally say Castle has?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feels like Hogwarts and Eton combined. It's mystical, magical and mysterious in the sense that it's steeped in tradition, pomp and ceremony.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed