Debenhams Christmas Job Induction??? Watch

_sophiemcn_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've got a Christmas temp job at Debenhams and I was wondering if anyone has had the induction, what exactly do you do at it and how should you dress, casual or smart?

What are the shifts like for Christmas temps? Do they keep on any of the Christmas staff for permanent positions? This'll sound silly but do we get santa hats or any kind of Christmas accessories to wear? I've seen some other places doing this.

Anything that anyone can tell me about the job will be really helpful. Thanks!
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From my experience back in the day when I worked for Debenhams:

The induction is just that - an introduction to the department and general procedures. Best to dress smart; for blokes, that'll be black trousers and a dark shirt (ideally black); for women, probably something similar; black skirt/trousers with a black top, maybe?

The shifts are more or less what you'd expect; you're told your shifts in advance (usually) and you're expected to show up! Shifts towards Christmas get quite busy, and you're usually expected to pick up the slack of other permanent staff members. Basically, I learned that a Christmas temp is basically there to take over from lazy or incompetent permanent staff members that they can't get rid of... and, obviously, to help with the extra workload with the Christmas rush.

Yes, they do hire one or two people on as full time staff members afterwards. Usually you're told on or around Christmas/New Years. Oh and err, nah, no santa hats!

There's obviously difficult customers around Christmas, and there's also difficult managers. As far as advice goes... be nice to your customers but tough with your manager! Don't let them exploit you, even if you really do want that permanent position. I knew some managers to really take the piss with lunch breaks etc.
jjenn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I had my induction for my xmas temp job on saturday and what we did mainly was go through health and safety rules then we signed some forms to say that we had gone through the health and safety (from 9 am to 2 with lunch in between). After this we had a tour of the store and got our lockers then we were free to go to the department we had been assigned to and introduce ourselves to the supervisor of that department. It was then up to the supervisor whether you went straight home or you did a little bit of work until the time you were scheduled to leave. I dressed smart, tried to replicate the uniform I had seen people wearing, so black shirt and black trousers.

You're shifts obviously depend on your hours, so i do 5 hours a week and my shifts are 12-5 on saturdays. You can tell your supervisor if you want to be considered for overtime as well.
I was told you can get kept on if there is a permanent position available and you do well, so it all depends really.
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.19%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.24%

Watched Threads