London's second languages mapped by tube stop Watch

navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...ges-visualised

Walk along the streets of London and it’s not uncommon to hear a variety of langauges jostling for space in your eardrums. Step inside a tube carriage on the underground and the story is no different.

Oliver O’Brien, researcher in geovisualisation and web mapping at University College London’s department of geography, has created a map showing what the most common second language (after English) is at certain tube stops across the capital.

Using a map of tube journeys and busy stations that he had previously created, O’Brien used 2011 Census data to add the second most commonly spoken language that people who live nearby speak.

Having analysed output areas that lie (wholly or partially) within 200m radius of the tube station and Census aggregate data for the metric, O’Brien ended up with the below map:

The circles overlaid on each tube station are coloured by the language most spoken (after English) by locals, with the area of the circle being proportional to the percentage of people speaking that language. As O’Brien writes on his blog:

So a circle where 10% of local people primarily speak French will be larger (and a different colour) than a circle where 5% of people primarily speak Spanish
Really interesting stuff. The data is pretty flawed- just living near a Tube station does not mean you ever use it, and large chunks of South East London have no Tube access- but I was interested to see the Tube station I use most has Chinese as a second language.
Emil Cioran
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's so weird how they all gathered into their own communities like that isn't it? Like such big percentages for one ethnic group in one area of London and such big percentages for another ethnic group in another area of London. Don't they know about diversity and it's strengths? Hello?

Let's all laugh at the leftist "multicultural" brigade!

TOLERANCE!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by navarre)
http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...ges-visualised

Really interesting stuff. The data is pretty flawed- just living near a Tube station does not mean you ever use it, and large chunks of South East London have no Tube access- but I was interested to see the Tube station I use most has Chinese as a second language.
Really fascinating data visualisation. Thanks for sharing.

I was particularly struck by how all of the wealthier areas seem to be marked by the presence of the French (and Italians and Spanish).
Edminzodo
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cool! :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads