Submitting work as an international student Watch

Opiece
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,
I'm a French student applying for HSPS at St John's. Like all HSPS applicants, I'm expected to submit two past essays, preferably related to the topic and in the 1000-3000 words range I believe. I should also scan the original copies.
The problem is, the only two subjects I have in English are English Literature and History & Geography. Sending Literature essays would be rather pointless, but I've only kept two History essays which are on a relatively similar topic. Basically, I have a very limited choice and I think these wouldn't be my best essays either.

So my question is, do any of you know if it'd be possible to translate an essay in French from another topic (Economics and Sociology for instance) and submit both the translated and original versions (as only one essay, of course)? I know I should contact my college's admissions office, I just wanted to know if any of you had already faced this situation.

Thanks!
alcibiade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My opinion is that admissions wants to see a) how you think and b) that you can write in English. Don't translate anything, it is too complicated - they won't want French versions.

Also, my d applied from France for hsps and wrote essays specifically for Cam, on request (they supplied the subject in her case). They will read them and grill you on them, if you get an interview. Write on something you know about and are passionate about. It is an opportunity.
icamui1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Opiece)
Hey guys,
I'm a French student applying for HSPS at St John's. Like all HSPS applicants, I'm expected to submit two past essays, preferably related to the topic and in the 1000-3000 words range I believe. I should also scan the original copies.
The problem is, the only two subjects I have in English are English Literature and History & Geography. Sending Literature essays would be rather pointless, but I've only kept two History essays which are on a relatively similar topic. Basically, I have a very limited choice and I think these wouldn't be my best essays either.

So my question is, do any of you know if it'd be possible to translate an essay in French from another topic (Economics and Sociology for instance) and submit both the translated and original versions (as only one essay, of course)? I know I should contact my college's admissions office, I just wanted to know if any of you had already faced this situation.

Thanks!
Hi I'm a Romanian student and I'm applying for HSPS at StJohn's as well. I'm in the same situation as you and I e-mailed the college for some information regarding the essays.
So, here's what they replied: the maximum length is 2000 words and they need to be written directly in English. My choices are limited too, but St John's does not provide applicants with specific topics for the essays. They advised me to choose the essays which show my skills and potential to best advantage and said that they can be from any subjects I studied at school. Also, if you do not have any work written in English or schoolwork you could as well write on any topic you are passionate about - invest your own time in writing these essays. I guess they are really giving us an opportunity to show our aptitude.
I hope this was helpful
Opiece
Rep:
?
Thank you for your replies! I emailed St John's admissions office as well, and their answer confirms what you said, icamui1.

By the way, icamui1, do you know if we have to ask the admissions office if the topic we'd choose is fine? And how would you fill the cover sheet if you write your essay specifically for Cambridge, not for class?
icamui1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Opiece)
Thank you for your replies! I emailed St John's admissions office as well, and their answer confirms what you said, icamui1.

By the way, icamui1, do you know if we have to ask the admissions office if the topic we'd choose is fine? And how would you fill the cover sheet if you write your essay specifically for Cambridge, not for class?
I don't think it's necessary to ask them whether our topics are fine, I mean they already told us to basically choose what puts us in the best light. For instance I think dealing with topics related to your course is ok but personally, I think it would be weird to deal with let's say quantum mechanics if you want to study politics. So I won't ask them. After all I chose to write on what I was passionate about and I think it is relevant.

Regarding the cover sheet.... well, my essays are related to school subjects, such as philosophy, and I will ask my teachers in that subject to look over my essays and grade them. So, I will mention that subject in the cover sheet, as if it was for class work. I mean, we can not simply leave the space blank or say "Subject: My free time was invested here because at school we write essays very rare and I don't think they're good enough".

Also, do you think they should be hand written? I have already written mine in word format and I'm wondering whether I should transfer them to a sheet of paper... I hope the answer is negative because ... because... 4000 words altogether, you know. God, I am so stressed and anxious.

Sorry for the extra-long answer
Opiece
Rep:
?
If you print them and make the teacher correct them on the printed version, it should be fine I suppose. I don't think that's something you should lose sleep over

I'll try to write a specific essay, but... Well, if I've got to make my teachers correct it, I'd give them less than a week, and I don't think they'd appreciate that :/ Did you write your essays both in Romanian and English? And also, just out of curiosity, what topics did you choose?
icamui1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I wrote in both languages, so my teachers can grade them. I chose topics from my philosophy and history class, regarding human nature, politics, things like that.
icamui1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think 1600 words is enough?
Opiece
Rep:
?
If I remember correctly, essays should be in the 1000-2000 words range, so 1600 should be fine. I don't think I'll have the time to write a new essay anyways since we've only got 6 days left, so I'll just translate one of the essays I did last year.
icamui1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
By the way which other universities did you apply to?
Opiece
Rep:
?
LSE, St Andrews, Durham and Warwick, all for Politics & International Relations. And I've already got an offer from Warwick
And you?
icamui1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
LSE, King's College London, Edinburgh and Manchester for International Relations and I got an offer from Manchester
Opiece
Rep:
?
I nearly applied to Edinburgh too Do you know if you're going to England for sure, or are you considering staying in Romania as well?

By the way, I just finished the translation of my History essay on the civilian extermination during WWII. So relieved, I'll have my essays ready in time for the 15th!
icamui1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well Romania would be the last resort so I don't think I'll end up here.... But I'm also applying in Netherlands at the University of Amsterdam and Leiden University and in France at SciencesPo so I have cheaper options than the UK. I just have to see who accepts me and I'll go to one of them.

Congratulations with your essay I still have to write the second one. The only essays I have from school are like 500 words long...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise